Please Help A Newbie!!!

Decorating By Meleana Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 9:56pm by kakeladi

Meleana Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 4:30am
post #1 of 5

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help me. I have just started cake decorating classes and am really new to all this. I am making a cake for wednesday that I would like to be a pond. I am using buttercream to ice the cake then royal icing flowers to accent.

My major problem seems to be how can I make the top look like water without dying the icing compleatley blue. Ideally I would like to air brush blue to give a lighter look but I don't have an air brush.

Does anyone have ideas on how to give a light blueish ting. Can I brush onto butter cream and if so how??

Please help...... Thank You

4 replies
cookiekisses Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 5:21am
post #2 of 5

I would tint piping gel blue and spread a very thin layer on top of the white buttercream. A tiny drop of color in the piping gel goes a long way!

cookiekisses Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 5:24am
post #3 of 5

your other option would be to color a small amount of icing blue. Then use white and blue to "swirl" the cake to look more wave-like. You leave the finished product more textured and you don't smooth it out. Again, this will use a lot less color.

cakecraving Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:41pm
post #4 of 5

I make my water with piping gel and blue Wilton gel colors. Just remember a little goes a long way.

kakeladi Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 5

I find it more realistic looking if I use a light blue-green b'cream for the pond, then coat that w/ clear piping gel.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%