Cake Stacking Methods

Decorating By lovinspoonfull Updated 30 Aug 2012 , 10:15pm by BlakesCakes

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 12:46am
post #1 of 16

I was taught to stack wedding cakes using dowels and cardboard cake rounds, and I have noticed a few other methods on this forum. I am just curious about how everyone out there is building their cakes.
SPS/ Coast system or dowels and boards?

15 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:39am
post #2 of 16

I use my version of "dowels & boards": 3/16" foamcore boards coated with edible soy wax and bubble tea straws. Works well for me.

Rae

lovinspoonfull Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks BlakesCakes. The bubble tea straws are interesting to me. I would like to find a sub for the dowels. Do you find that they are strong enough to use on pretty large cakes? I have experimented with downward force on regular cut straws, and they seem very strong. I just haven't had the nerve to use them in a cake yet!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 16

Dowell and Board lady here...
I use the Wilton Lollypop Sticks...
Buying the 8 inch ones i can cut them to any height i may require.... as most of my cakes/tiers are 6 inches tall
http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p1448/wilton-cookie-treat-sticks-8-inches

Bluehue

lovinspoonfull Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 16

Bluehue, do you use 3 inch pans to achieve 6 inch tiers? I prefer the look of a taller tier.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinspoonfull

Bluehue, do you use 3 inch pans to achieve 6 inch tiers? I prefer the look of a taller tier.

Sure do....although i don't use the top of the cake - so i bake 3 cakes...tort each one into inch thickness's fill and stack.
Yes, i love the look of tall cakes also.

But you don't have to ude 3 inch pans - just bake - tort and fill until you get to your 6 inches.

Bluehue

BlakesCakes Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinspoonfull

Thanks BlakesCakes. The bubble tea straws are interesting to me. I would like to find a sub for the dowels. Do you find that they are strong enough to use on pretty large cakes? I have experimented with downward force on regular cut straws, and they seem very strong. I just haven't had the nerve to use them in a cake yet!

Absolutely strong enough. The hollow cylinder is one of the strongest architectural elements available--much safer than a solid cylinder like a wooden dowel or any other skinny stick.

Straws don't displace cake like solid cylinders do. The cake is actually compressed into the hollow and acts a bit like an anchor. They're much less likely to slide in the damp environment of a cake.

Straws are very easy to cut and get level. You only need to use 1/2 as many for support, too, so you can support a 10" cake with just 5 straws. They're sanitary, easy to see in the cake, they're not made of anything that can absorb grease or moisture, and they're cheap.

Along with the Agbay cake leveler, straws are me best "cake find" ever--thanks to CC.

Rae

lovinspoonfull Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 6:54pm
post #8 of 16

Stopped by the Asian market on my way home today to get bubble tea straws! Thanks all for the help. And....oh how I miss the Agbay cake leveler that I used at my previous job!
I WILL have one again!

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 7:41pm
post #9 of 16

Rae,
I love using the foam core but usually wrap them in fancifoil. I'd love to know more about the edible soy wax. Where do you buy something like that?

BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 7:52pm
post #10 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynee

Rae,
I love using the foam core but usually wrap them in fancifoil. I'd love to know more about the edible soy wax. Where do you buy something like that?

I did some research and found that Golden Blends 415 was food grade, edible, Kosher soy wax. I purchased 10lbs. of it on Ebay--it should last me a lifetime! I melt it in the microwave in a small silicone cup and apply a thin coat with a paper towel.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/130491955139?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

HTH
Rae

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 10:52pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks for the info, Rae. I'll look into it.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 12:53am
post #12 of 16

Large stacked wedding cakes, I may use Coast, I've use them and were quite simple to use. In the past I've used SPS. Most cakes I do are small, so I mainly do the "dowel and board' routine. I have yet to use the tea bubble straws.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 3:14am
post #13 of 16

I use wooden dowels, and silver-covered cardboard rounds, or bubble teas and the same boards. It is difficult to push a bubble tea straw into cold mud cake, so sometimes I have to use the dowels!

I have never had a cake slip, collapse, or shift in a way it shouldn't icon_smile.gif

lovinspoonfull Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 5:47pm
post #14 of 16

I have never had any issued with dowels either, but I do like the fact that the bubble tea straws can be sanitized, and are not displacing any cake. I used them today on a fairly small stacked cake. Worked great! Thanks again!

vpJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vpJane Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 6:45pm
post #15 of 16

There are some people here that use this other method and love it.

http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/store.html

BlakesCakes Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 10:15pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by vpJane

There are some people here that use this other method and love it.

http://www.stressfreecakes.com/public/store.html

Marvelous system, but it's pricey, requires a deposit by the client, needs to be returned or retrieved, needs replacement parts at times, etc.

I have a cake friend who swore by it until she had a run of clients not returning all of the pieces and one venue that THREW IT OUT.

I can't be bothered with all of that. But, it's a great option for those who don't mind dealing with such issues.

Lovinspoonfull--glad the bubble tea straws worked well for you.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%