How Do I Measure Shortening???...

Baking By Mikel79 Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 2:01pm by cakegrandma

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 16

I know this must be a stupid question. But I had to ask it.

I currently scoop my Hi Ratio shortening with a 1 cup measuring cup. But it is so messy. I have watched Todena (I know I am jacking the spelling of her name) on her You Tube video and she has some sort of extruder contraption she pushes the shortening out into her mixer with.

I am afraid that I am not getting an accurate measurement by doing it with a 1 cup measuring cup. Im not sure if the shortening is going all the way to the bottom, even when I push it down.

Suggestions, Tips are appreciated.

Thanks!
Michael

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:26pm
post #2 of 16

Have you tried the water displacement method? When you want to measure 1 cup of shortening, use a 2 cup measuring cup; fill with 1 cup of water. Now add shortening until the water comes up to the 2 cup line.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 16

What she said ^^^^^ . I tried to log on but for some reason it takes me about a dozen tries before I connect. icon_cry.gif Anyway, the liquid displacement method is what I use and it works very well for me. thumbs_up.gif

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:44pm
post #4 of 16

Awesome tip! Can't believe I've lived this long without ever hearing of it. I always painstakingly pack the shortening into a cup measure, making extra sure to get it all the way to the edges. No more! Thanks!!

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 4:21am
post #5 of 16

I tried the extruder type measuring cup, so excited to finally have it since it would be so much easier to use. After a couple times of trying to pack the shortening to not have air spaces (which now you can actually see since the cup is clear) and failing. I was disappointed to see how many air spaces no matter how hard I tried to eliminate them. I went out and bought a reasonably priced scale at Harbor Freight to use for shortening and haven't used the extruder style again. Weighing is the only way I do it now.

puminchih44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puminchih44 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 9:21am
post #6 of 16

making extra sure to get it all the way to the edges. No more! Thanks!!Image

Mikel79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikel79 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:15am
post #7 of 16

Thank you all for the tips!

newbaker55 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newbaker55 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:38am
post #8 of 16

Like denetteb I too use a scale. Bought one for about $30.00 at Walmart a couple years ago. Lightly lay a piece of Saran Wrap on the platform and spoon your shortening right on the wrap. No cleanup plus accurate measurements = well worth the purchase icon_smile.gif

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:52am
post #9 of 16

I just measure with a half cup instead...easier to pack.

3D-Sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3D-Sweets Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 10:59am
post #10 of 16

I weigh my ingredients (pretty much all of them) to cut down on washing measuring cups fifteen times a day. I usually weigh directly into the bowl rather than onto scale then dumping. The tare function is very useful for this!

kimbm04r Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimbm04r Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 1:08am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Sweets

I weigh my ingredients (pretty much all of them) to cut down on washing measuring cups fifteen times a day. I usually weigh directly into the bowl rather than onto scale then dumping. The tare function is very useful for this!

This is what I do also. So much easier.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:48am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimbm04r

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3D-Sweets

This is what I do also. So much easier.

I never thought of it before, but that actually would be a lot easier! And I just found this by googling weights because I'm not really familiar with this method, so hopefully this might be useful for anyone that might like to give it a try...

One tablespoon of solid shortening weighs 13 grams (from label). There are 16 tablespoons in one cup, so 13 x 16 = 208 grams.

One-half cup of shortening weighs 104 grams.
One-third cup of shortening weighs 69 grams.
One-fourth cup of shortening weighs 52 grams.

This is the easiest way to weigh shortening. Just be sure to zero out the scale before adding shortening to the cup or bowl.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 5:29am
post #13 of 16

I'm totally doing the plastic wrap and scale method! I bought one of those special push cups, too. I had heard so much about them and everyone loves their's. Mine? Ugh! I hate using it and I hate cleaning it. My friend thinks I'm nuts but I'd rather use a regular measuring cup.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:36pm
post #14 of 16

Yeah, I fell for the push type cup too. Total waste of money!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 1:23pm
post #15 of 16

I weigh everything possible, right in the mixing bowl.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:01pm
post #16 of 16

I always weigh my shortening as it is much easier and a lot less washing of cups too. A cup of shortening weighs 6.5 oz so I hope this helps you. Be sure to use the tare on your scale and I just use a Salter scale you can pick up at BB&B for less than $20.00. I get a 50# block of Hi Ratio and scoop it out of the box with a large spatula into a large bowl container, maybe tupperware?,. This I keep in the cabinet and use it whenever I need as it is close by.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%