Can I Omit Oil When Adding Fruit To A Box Mix

Baking By catsmom21 Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 9:58pm by kakeladi

catsmom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmom21 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 6

I am making some cherry cupcakes with fresh (pitted of course) bing cherries and a white cake box mix (sorry, but it's an emergency) I've never used a box mix like this before. Should I omit the oil, because the cherries will add enough moisture?

thanks for your quick help!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 6

I don't know that I'd omit the oil, but I might cut back a bit on the other liquid you're using--water or milk--by maybe 1/3.

JMHO
Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 6

I have never added the oil to box mixes and have used 1000s of them icon_smile.gif

catsmom21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catsmom21 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you both for your help. I compromised and cut the oil in half. The texture of the cupcakes turned out just right. Not being used to box mixes though, the chemical taste was not to my liking. Maybe it was just the brand..a store brand mix donated for the occasion. icon_smile.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 6

Glad it helped.

I do find a real difference in *some* store brand mixes. I've been burned twice, so I stick with Duncan Hines whenever possible, Betty Crocker when necessary.

Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 9:58pm
post #6 of 6

Yeah, from experience it's best to stick to the name brands. Mostly I prefere Betty Crocker but since the changes made to mixes over the past several months I haven't baked. Hearing from other on this forum things are NOT the same icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%