Making This Cake?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 22 Aug 2012 , 12:02am by fcakes

fcakes Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 9

I'm trying replicate this cake -

Are the whales added after covering the cake in fondant? How do they look seamless? And I don't have an airbrush so will I get the same look by using Wilton sprays ? Painting airbrush colors with a brush?

Any other advice on making this will be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

8 replies
sillywabbitz Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 2:19pm
post #2 of 9

Your link did not come through correctly. Can you save the picture onto your computer and attach it directly to your post?

fcakes Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 2:22pm
post #3 of 9

Thnx sillywabitz... I attached the pic now icon_smile.gif

fcakes Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 9

Anyone please?

AnnieCahill Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 9

There is no image.

Sparklekat6 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 9

I can see the image although the page didn't load correctly. It doesn't look seemless to me at all. See the top and how there is all that discoloration around the whale's tail? It looks like she just spread the fodant out thin to and then painted it to look like it's part of the water. But you can see vague outlines of the fondant in the top of the cake.

BlueRose8302 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 9

The whales are made and placed on the cake--he/she did a good job attaching them. Maybe cut the fondant off the cake a bit so the whale could be placed inside a bit. I bet you could use some sprays and hand painting to make it look similar. You could also marble some blue and greens together to cover the cake. Just do what works for you and I am sure it will be great! It might not the exactly the same, but you might make something you like even better! Good luck!

Lynne3 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 9

The description on the cake says
" I used alot of airbrushing and sculpting work , forming the whale tails out of fondant and gumpaste. Cut out "Orca's" and hand painted Native whale art surrounds the sides. The "water effect" was created using paint and corn syrup, and finished with some airbrush effects."

fcakes Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 12:02am
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the help! so i'll cover the cake and then add the whales and paint over them... thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%