Help! Making The Most Important Cake Yet...stage Fright!!!

Decorating By Earlval33 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 12:59am by Chefnme

Earlval33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Earlval33 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:10pm
post #1 of 3

My little girl has watched me make and deliver cakes for the last few months since I picked up this hobby, it has become a bonding time for us and her birthday party is tomorrow. I know she expects it to be awesome and I'm so scared of lettin her down! I have a 14 square, 9 an 6 round bakes cooled and ready to go...buttercream made and im terrified to touch it!!

Here's what I have...

My cakes are zebra on the inside and I want zebra on the outside. One pink one blue and one green tier is what I see in my head. I naught 3 packages of sugar sheets in black after doing my cake central research but now I'm leaning toword piping the stripes on and filling in with the background color an viva smoothing it. I did this with a camo pattern and it was successful but do I have to crumb coat? How easy are the sugar sheets to cut and use? I would like to do the middle tier smooth with black dots...can I pipe dots and smooth it will they loose shape as I smooth? I also have feathers to come out of the top.

Thank you!

2 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 12:44pm
post #2 of 3

It depends on the brand of sheets you have. I know icingimages sheets are very easy to work with but others can be brittle, tear and are hard to remove from the backing. You'll just have to experiment with the sheets you have and see what works.

Chefnme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefnme Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 12:59am
post #3 of 3

I've used the Wilton Sugar sheets and found them to be quite easy. Every now and then I run into a defective sheet, either the color is off or it is pretty thin, but besides that, I haven't had any issues with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%