Groom's Cake Confusion

Decorating By mamanof3 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 12:03am by mamanof3

mamanof3 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:08pm
post #1 of 12

I do cakes as a hobby, for family and close friends. I agreed to do wedding cupcakes for a couple at church, whom I hardly know. Agreed on 100 cupcakes and one large "Wilton" cupcake. Black cupcake liners, with a swirl of white icing topped with a fall colored gumpaste flower. I just received an email from the bride asking if I could customize the large cupcake as a groom's cake, listing several of her fiancé's likes, that should be represented on the large cupcake. How on earth do I accomplish this? And without making it look tacky. HELP! Or how do I tactfully turn her away from this idea...

11 replies
shanter Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 12

I think we'd need a lot more information. For example, you say you are a hobby baker. Are you charging this couple anything for the cupcakes? If you are baking at home, does your state have a cottage food law? Do you have a contract or any kind of written agreement?

The simple answer is to say "no," you can't do any more than you initially agreed on. You don't even have to give a reason. Especially if this couple are getting these cupcakes for free, they don't have right to tell you what to do.

P.S. You shouldn't start the same thread twice.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 12

How does she want it customized? Is she wanting something on top of the large cupcake?

I would gently stir her in another direction. Come up with a great groom's cake idea based on her suggestions. tell her you can do that instead & it can be placed next to the cupcake display...As a groom's cake should be.

If you do have a contract or have already quoted her for the order be sure to warn her of any changes to the total.

southerncross Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:10pm
post #4 of 12

Well Mamanof3, I'm not in the employ of DHEC so I don't have any interest as to whether you are licensed or have contract or who you plan to vote for in the upcoming elections. I will comment on your original question about decorating a giant cupcake for the groom's cake. I kinda like the challenge of coming up with something that doesn't end up tacky. What did the bride tell you about the groom's interests? If I had this challenge, I might just envision a regular sized cake and what I'd do then miniaturize it. The dome configuration of the giant cupcake gives you a lot more surface to decorate than one might imagine.
I suspect the bride is thinking a grooms cupcake is in keeping with the cupcake tower of her "wedding cake" and I think it's sweet. What are you big worries that make you want to turn her away from this?

mamanof3 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 12

1. I didn't realize I posted twice. My apologies.

2. They will purchase the ingredients. I am doing the work. There is no contract.

3. It is a private event, served to family and friends. All local by-laws are being observed.

4. The is no tower for the cupcakes. They will be on a table.

5. Here is the message I received from the bride:
...and i have a special request... i wanna do a cake for Fiancé on our wedding day as well something special jsut for him... all his favourates... doesnt have to be big... but here are some of his fav things... his fav colour is fire orange, and night sky blue... hes a mason (brick layrer) hes a hunter... he loves to draw... fish... he loves to cook... there are a few things for you to think something up lol... i was thinking you know the big cup cake you where doing maybe do that cake for hmi just as big as that one...

southerncross Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:48pm
post #6 of 12

It sounds like the bride is just listing things that the groom is into or might represent him...I don't get the idea that she want's everything on the cupcake. Pick one that you think you can do and run with it. For instance, you could top the cupcake with miniature bricklayers tools made of gumpaste or mexican paste. or an pad of drawing paper with several pencils. I think once you start thinking about it, you'll come up with some great ideas. I do a lot of grooms cakes and I always feel overwhelmed at first....I think grooms cakes can be more fun than wedding cakes because the brides usually give you a sense of direction while you have more freedom to come up with clever ideas for the groom. Good luck and let us know how it goes

traci_doodle Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 10:55pm
post #7 of 12

I could be wrong, but it seems like she wants the groom's cake in addition to, not instead of, the giant cupcake. She just wants them the same size.

mamanof3 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 12

Oh, that's a good point. I'll need to clarify that with her. If it's in addition to the large cupcake, it may not be so bad. They were planning on using the large cupcake as their cutting cake, two cakes would make more sense.

LKing12 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 12

I agree that she is asking for a separate groom's cake. You just need to encourage her, to choose which interest she wants to highlight on the cake.

MissMona Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 3:20am
post #10 of 12

It could be kinda cute to do another big cupcake with a camo bottom and an orange top....just an idea.... icon_wink.gif Maybe with the cooking tools and a drawing pad and pencil on top? Or laying around the base? Cute idea..... Have fun!

h2o_db Posted 19 Aug 2012 , 7:50am
post #11 of 12

when I read the message the bride wrote you, like traci_doodle, I also get the impression she wants an additional cake the same size as the giant cupcake...

mamanof3 Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 12:03am
post #12 of 12

MissMona-I like that idea...Thank you! I talked to the bride and yes she wants two separate cakes (thankfully)

Quote by @%username% on %date%