Should This Email Raise A Red Flag? (Maybe Just Yellow...)

Business By Sassyzan Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 3:18pm by costumeczar

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 11:08pm
post #1 of 9

I got this email today.

"Do you have any cake photos that I can email to a friend? She wants a monster truck theme cake for a three year old b-day. The cake will mostly be for chase adults and centerpiece. She's just going to buy little cupcakes for the kids.

She also wants to know about pricing."

Here's my cynical translation of what the friend has in mind: "I want a fancy carved cake to show off to my guests for my kid's birthday party, but I don't want to spend $$$ a serving on cake for toddlers. So make me an amazing tiny cake for cheap (the smaller, the cheaper right!?!?) and I'll just go get some crappy cupcakes at Walmart for the rug rats."

Ugghh...how much time do I invest in pursuing this?

8 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 9

Well, that may very well be her intentions but most people just don't understand the time involved in a carved cake and how expensive they are. Send her the quote and make sure she knows she pays for size of cake you start with not the amount of servings she ends up with. You might not hear back from her but can't hurt.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 11:24pm
post #3 of 9

What is wrong with someone wanting a nice cake in a size that they can afford? She's not asking for you to make a big fancy carved cake for cheap (yet) so I guess I don't see what the problem is.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 11:27pm
post #4 of 9

I would contact her and ask for how many people and what her budget is. She may surprise you and after talking with her and maybe getting a theme she may be able to purchase from you after all. However, if she starts to get yu to reduce your price them you may be better off telling her that you can not doing her cake or just telling her to go to Wal Mart. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
evelyn

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:01am
post #5 of 9

I translated the email the same way but I'll admit I'm generally a little on the cynical side.

I would also contact her. First questions out of your mouth need to be:
How many servings do you need?
What is your budget?

Make sure she knows carved cakes are very tIme consuming and there is a cost with that.
If her budget works for you, then great. If it's what you suspect I'd have no problems telling her that you cannot provide her a carved cake for her budget and either suggest something in her budget or refer her elsewhere.

On a side note, I personally do not accept orders where outside cake or cupcakes will also be brought in (and that particular topic has been hashed' out to death but it's something to consider for this order).

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:13am
post #6 of 9

I recently had a mother contact me about doing a carved truck cake for her sons' birthday. It was too short notice, but I told her to buy a small truck and we would place it on the cake. She bought a fire engine and I decorated with "flames". Everyone was happy!

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 5:38am
post #7 of 9

A lot of people are not used to ordering custom cakes so they don't know what to say, how to word things, what you need to know, how much they cost, or even what they want.
I, too, think you should call and talk to the person who will be ordering and paying for the cake. That's your chance to make them feel comfortable with the process, educate them, and find out exactly what their needs are expectations are.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:25am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

On a side note, I personally do not accept orders where outside cake or cupcakes will also be brought in (and that particular topic has been hashed' out to death but it's something to consider for this order).

Often times customers believe they will save some money by supplementing a cake they get from me with a store bought cake. I try to warn them that they will not really be saving any money by doing that because invariably the store cake will go to waste while the better cake will barely go around. It.happens.every.time. The guests are no fools, everybody reaches for the "fancy" cake and the store cake goes to waste. Never fails.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 9

I'd just send her the pricing for a carved 3-D cake vs a sheet cake, and tell her to look on my website for photos. Nothing too tricky about that particular email IMO.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%