Worried, 3" Deep Pans

Decorating By Smiller94 Updated 22 Aug 2012 , 7:55am by chuchengchunk

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 7

Hello, I have a very big wedding cake to do in 3 weeks for my brother. I have bought new pans just for this cake and future cakes but my problem is I am worried because I bought 3" Deep Fat Daddio Square pans.

Yesterday I have purchased the SPS system and with the purchase I bought the 4" rods.

Is it possible to make 1 3" cake, level, torte, fill & Ice would it be a 4" in the end? Or should I make 2 3" cakes and just cut them down to the size of 2" each for a 4" cake tier.

Thanks
Shantelle

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 9:21pm
post #2 of 7

I love my 3" pans, but I NEVER try to bake 3" layers in them. I use them to bake nice, full 2" layers and I use 2 of each for a tier of cake.

I use flower nails as heating cores in every cake (1 per 6/8/10"; 2-3 per 12"; 4-5 per 14").

Rae

katharine8283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharine8283 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 4:42am
post #3 of 7

I use either 3" or 4" fat daddio pans, and bake a full height cake in them with no problems. In my larger pans I use a flower nail and line the sides with two layers of baking paper. Never had a cake turn out with overcooked sides and undercooked center.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:09am
post #4 of 7

I have found with 3 inch pans that banking a full 3 inch cake can be tricky. Half the time I end up with an ok cake and other times the cake rises and the falls OR does not bake fully in the center despite a flower nail-- too much batter in the pan I found.

These days I use my 3 inch pans to bake 2 inch tall layers (as I've found unless I collar a 2 inch pan, I rarely get 2 full inches after leveling and torting).

I seriously doubt a 3 inch cake (after leveling and torting) will give you 4 full inches with filling unless your filling is something stiff like ganache and can be piled on 1/3 of an inch per layer. I've tried regular fillings and ended up with cakes 3.75 inches tall (3 layers of filling 1/4 of an inch thick).

Smiller94 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smiller94 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 2:17am
post #5 of 7

thank guys, I have decided to do the 3" deep pans but only cook as 2" cakes and make 2 per tier, Like I would do using my 2" deep pans. This is my first time using these new pans, think I am going ot do a test run this weekend and just try it out before I actually start baking for the wedding.

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 3:16am
post #6 of 7

Fat Daddio pans were a good choice. I use 3" or 4" deep ones and bake 2 pan's worth of cake then sandwich them together to make a 4" or 5" high cake, which is a good height for wedding cake tiers. For the bigger tiers, I use a heating core, which helps avoid over-baking the wide outsides. For more information on how to bake with a heating core, go to: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2010/07/how-to-bake-a-cake-with-a-heating-core

Also since you happen to have deep pans, check out my system for assembling cakes right in the pan: http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2010/07/how-to-fill-cakes. That ought to help you get nice tight squares of cake, which will make frosting much easier.

If you end up needing to trim your SPS columns, use a pipe cutter. It works great for cutting SPS to size.
LL

chuchengchunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chuchengchunk Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 7:55am
post #7 of 7

This is my first time using these new pans, think I am going ot do a test run this weekend and just try it out before I actually start baking for the weddinImage

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%