How Long Will Madera Cake Last

Decorating By baycharedie Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 8:18am by mmmmmmmmcake1954

baycharedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycharedie Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hi there I am new to baking cakes and said I would make my sisters wedding cake . Well I started making the 4 teir cake on the 15th and was finished by 16 th I have wrapped them all in foil and put them in my bedroom where it dark and cool I am going to ice the cakes on the 17th the wedding is on the 24th will the cake be ok im so worried now and wish I would have made it at a later date I have no room in my freezer and have heard if I put in fridge it will go stale j will be using fondent icing and butter team to decorate I would be grateful for some advice thankyou xxx icon_cry.gif

4 replies
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 5

Hi Baycharedie,

I made a 50th Birthday cake (in pics the pale green with white and pink flowers) with a home baked madeira cake, although I buttercreamed and fondant iced the following day, the person it was for said that she was still eating the cake two weeks later and it was fine - I have to say that I was a bit surprised but I do know that Madeira does keep longer that most other cakes. Maybe you could just cut off a slither to try the day before you intend to cover and decorate just to check. HTH thumbs_up.gif

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmmmmmcake1954

Hi Baycharedie,

I made a 50th Birthday cake (in pics the pale green with white and pink flowers) with a home baked madeira cake, although I buttercreamed and fondant iced the following day, the person it was for said that she was still eating the cake two weeks later and it was fine - I have to say that I was a bit surprised but I do know that Madeira does keep longer that most other cakes. Maybe you could just cut off a slither to try the day before you intend to cover and decorate just to check. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Sorry forgot to say, I would also wrap them first in greaseproof paper ,then clingfilm before the foil and don't put them in fridge.

baycharedie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
baycharedie Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks very much is there any one you know that makes cakes this early on the cake will be 9 days old by the time it cut im just really worried that it will go mouldy what do you think x

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:18am
post #5 of 5

I personally think it is a risk and wouldn't do it myself. Can you not just share these cakes out amongst family and friends and maybe bake them again 3-4 days before the wedding, which would give you time to fill, cover and decorate - much better to be safe than sorry!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%