Glass Candy Becoming Edible "glitter"

Baking By sfandm Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 12:48pm by scp1127

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 10:51pm
post #1 of 9

After reading the recent post on "Edible Glitter" where the pic was actual plastic glitter, I thought about making glass candy and spreading it really thin on cookie sheets, then chopping it up in smaller pieces using my Ninja or other food chopper.

I have seen the recipe which calls for Gum Arabic on the net, but don't like the read of the instructions. What are your thoughts?

If I get enough interest from y'all, I will make a batch on Monday and try it.

Let me know what you think.

8 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:44pm
post #2 of 9

Glass Candy is an electronic music duo from Portland, Oregon. icon_lol.gif
If you mean molten sugar as for making hard candy, it sounds like it would be a great thing to try. Go for it and let us know how it turns out.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:50pm
post #3 of 9

It's a nice plan in theory, but it most likely will melt away into nothingness as soon as any amount of humidity hits it.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 9

But sugar sprinkles don't....so what do I know. Be interested to hear your results!

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 3:10am
post #5 of 9

Recently in the Newest recipes there was one for making your own edible glitter. Very simple using sugar and baking it for a short time. It will allow you atleast to make your own custom colors. I made some amazing Teal color ! thumbs_up.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 9:10am
post #6 of 9

Formynana, I made that recipe too and it sucked! It made regular sanding sugar. It was not glittery at all like the picture that was used, which by now everyone has determined was not picture of the actual product. It was a generic picture of plastic craft glitter. I was very dissapoined icon_sad.gif

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 17 Aug 2012 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 9

"Glass Candy", as my long time deceased grandmother always referred to it 20+ years ago, was made all the time in her house, and we always ate it, she always said it was the cheapest candy you could find. It was delicious. I guess by now I have revealed my true age icon_cry.gif

I will try it, in a half batch, if nothing else, it will be as good as hers using her recipe.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 9:41am
post #8 of 9

sfandm, please keep us posted on the turn out!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 9

I make that candy for my museum work. The only issue with that candy is that the shards are super sharp. I cut myself every time I make it while I'm breaking it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%