Glitter Flakes On Side Of Cake

Decorating By HolliesMummy Updated 15 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm by HolliesMummy

HolliesMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HolliesMummy Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I am in the process of making a wedding cake and the bride wants to have a sheen of silver on the cake with glitter flakes then stuck to the side. I have attempted this by using the edible silver spray in a can, letting it dry and then putting vodka on the cake and flicking the glitter onto the side of the cake. This is not working at all the spray is getting streaked by the vodka and the glitter just isn't staying. The cake is really large and it would be impossible to stick the glitter bits on by rolling the cake in it, has any one got any genius ideas, I am at the point of going back and telling the bride it can't be done...

2 replies
nancyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancyg Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 3:51pm
post #2 of 3

I do this a lot....I have a small spray bottle with a fine mist....like a travel hairspray bottle. I spritz a little water all around my butter cream or fondant cake and then sprinkle on the glitter and it really works for me...I don't get the cake really wet though...I just put a mist all over and tip the cake a little sideways to sprinkle with the glitter....

I also do this one tier at a time so I can tilt it a little

I sure hope this helps...let me know how it goes.

HolliesMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HolliesMummy Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 3

Hey, thanks for replying that makes sense I shall been giving it ago and will be sure to let you know the results, fingers crossed....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%