Fondant Figures

Decorating By pinkbutterfly Updated 21 Aug 2012 , 4:23am by pinkbutterfly

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 7:11am
post #1 of 5

I am making a jungle themed cake for sept 8 in which i will be sculpting animal figures for the first time from fondant. How soon can I begin making them and how should they be stored until I use them? Also, what is the best medium to use fondant or gumpaste? Thank you for any replies in advance.

4 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 5

I use crappy Wilton fondant with some tylose powder added in. You can make them as far in advance as you need to. Just store them in a box so the air can circulate. Make sure it's not airtight.

melanie-1221 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melanie-1221 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 12:25pm
post #3 of 5

I make my figures about a week in advance and I store them in a safe, dry place in just an open box. I use a mix of gumpaste and fondant. I have found that just fondant doesn't dry as firm or fast. icon_biggrin.gif

SugarSweetCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarSweetCakes Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

I like to make my figures a week in advance. If it's short notice I can make them 4 days ahead & they're usually dry enough. For certain figures, I will make my bodies/arms/legs one day & let that dry over night then I add the head the next day. I find this helps support the weight of the head better than putting it on while the body is still soft. I like to use the Wilton fondant also for making figures. It's not as soft as Satin Ice. I always use fondant mixed with either gum paste or tylose powder to make figures. It dries faster this way. To dry them, I store them in either an open box or on a cake dummy .

pinkbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkbutterfly Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

Thank you for all of the replies. They have been very helpful!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%