Heavy Cream Substitution???

Baking By xinue Updated 5 Jun 2013 , 7:19am by AprendizCake

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 10:32pm
post #1 of 9

Hello there!

I've been using the ganache under fondant method for about 2 years now. I love it, it the best thing ever!
I live in Caracas, Venezuela. We are having some mayor political, economical and all kind of ugly issues that are driving us nuts. One of them is the lack of ingredients, belive it or not I can't find heavy cream anywhere (the government froze the prices of dairy products and the companies just stoped producing the cream)
I've read that you can mix milk with melted, cooled butter for some kind of substitution. (thankfully I still can find both)

Has anyone tried it? does anybody know the milk-butter ratio?

Thank you!

8 replies
cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 6:34am
post #2 of 9

Hmm, no I haven't tried it. I may be wrong, so please do a search yourself- don't just take my word for it; I think someone said they just use whole milk and not heavy cream. Can you get liquid coffee creamer? That would be closer than whole milk, I would think.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 7:33am
post #3 of 9

Yes, I do it all the time for vegan ganache with Earth Balance and soy milk. You might have even read me sharing it.

I put about a tbsp of butter in a 1 cup measure, then add milk to line. If you have whole milk, you may not need as much. I think vegan milk is much lower in fat. Another issue is that you may have to slightly adjust the amount of milk/butter to get your consistency.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 7:48am
post #4 of 9

I did it last night with milk and butter and turned out nice!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 9

scp1127, I have a question. Soy milk, I can understand, as it is plant-based. But how can a vegan justify the butter component? Wouldn't that little bit of animal-produced butter negate the whole effect? I know some vegetarians who are not vegan will consume eggs and milk products, they just draw the line at meat.
This is just something I'm curious about. I don't mean to hi jack the thread.

Jan

xinue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xinue Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 2:05pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you guys! I think I'll just have to try it out and find the right ratio!

icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbymindysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymindysue Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 2:36pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmaid42

scp1127, I have a question. Soy milk, I can understand, as it is plant-based. But how can a vegan justify the butter component? Wouldn't that little bit of animal-produced butter negate the whole effect? I know some vegetarians who are not vegan will consume eggs and milk products, they just draw the line at meat.
This is just something I'm curious about. I don't mean to hi jack the thread.

Jan

Earth Balance is vegan. It is NOT butter, it's a "buttery spread."

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 15 Aug 2012 , 3:54pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks. That makes sense. I wasn't familiar with it. Learned something new.

Jan

AprendizCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AprendizCake Posted 5 Jun 2013 , 7:19am
post #9 of 9

Hola xinue, tambien soy de venezuela. Y quiero hacer ganache podrías decirme si te resultó y como lo hiciste? El mes pasado se conseguia crema de leche para postres por mercado libre pero hoy en dia ya no. En una oportunidad hice un relleno con una lata de crema de leche de esa que aun hay por alli salada, chocolate, leche condensada y glucosa. Resulto bien pero eso obvio no es ganache! Me ayudas? Gracias!icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%