White Roses And Gold Luster Dust

Decorating By ChuckJ Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 8:01pm by kazita

ChuckJ Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 4

Hello everyone! icon_smile.gif

This is my first post and hopefully a quick Q&A. I'm working on a 50th anniversary cake and have a request for the use of real roses. I'd like to a combination of red and white cascading roses; however, I want to color the white roses with gold luster dust. Has anyone done or has seen this done before? Will the rose take the dust?

The cake will be white buttercream with white chocolate mousse filling.

Thanks in advance for any guidance! icon_smile.gif

3 replies
kakeladi Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 4

Gold dust can be used on fondant or b'cream if the flowers are made in advance. I can't point to a specific cake w/that color combination but I can picture it in my head and think it is very nice icon_smile.gif I suggest just tipping the white petals w/gold - not dusting the whole rose with it.

milkmaid42 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 4

I think the OP is referring to dusting real roses. Actually, I don't know if a real rose would accept the dust. Perhaps if you very gently tipped the edges of the petals with thinned piping gel? How that would affect the life of the flower, I wouldn't know.

kazita Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 4

Maybe buy the color mist that wilton sells, they sell it it shiny gold . Ive only ever seen it at the cake store that i go to. I know michaels and hobby lobby carry the colors but they do not carry the silver or gold. Another idea would be to ask where you are buying the flowers if they can tip them in gold for you, everytime that i have ordered folwers for prom or homecoming or the such i have had them tip the white flowers the color of the dress that my daughter is wearing. Another idea if you cant figure a way to get the roses tipped in gold when you have them make the flowers for you you can have them add lots of gold ribbon and gold beads.

Quote by @%username% on %date%