Windsor Clikstix Problems

Decorating By Carolynn38 Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 10:43pm by BlakesCakes

Carolynn38 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynn38 Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #1 of 3

Please can someone help. I bought the full set of Block Windsor Clikstix and I just can't seem to use them correct - despite seeing so many You Tube tutorials and practising with both fondant and mexican paste.

The problem seems to be that they are all 'indented' where the plunger is - if that makes sense. So instead of being nice and flat they have raised sides and are hollow-ish in the middle. This seems to be more of a problem with the letters/numbers at the far edges of the strip, ie A & B whereas the ones in the middle are better.

I know this must be happening as the plunger i being depressed but I have tried holding at the edges and everything. I have also made the paste super thin but I still get these indents.

Anyone know how to resolve - I am considering buying the Groovy ones but I don't want the same problem.

2 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 13 Aug 2012 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 3

It took me a long time to get the hang of these. The biggest salvation for me was to realize that you should not roll out the fondant or gum paste and start plunging.

After you roll out your fondant (very thin) , let it sit a while. When its damp, the fondant sticks to the sides of the cutter and appears raised on the sides and depressed in the middle. It looks like a hot mess.

Roll out on a mat with some hold, like the thicker mat you use to cut gumpaste flowers. Then leave it alone for about 10 minutes.
Also, cut your fondant into stips that fit the width of your letters if you want to make the job even easier.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 10:43pm
post #3 of 3

I use these whenever possible. Most often, I use fondant with a bit of tylose added to it.

You can get varying results by varying the thickness of your product. With very thin fondant, you can get a flatter letter. With slightly thicker fondant, you can get a more dimensional letter (which I prefer).

I roll out the fondant and then place it on a surface with a bit of cornstarch on it. I then dust the top of the fondant with CS and also the ClixStix.

I cut the fondant into small pieces big enough to cut out a single letter.

I cut the letter by pressing and "rubbing" the fondant around on the board. If I want a thin letter, I plunge it out right away. If I want the dimensional letter, I rub the fondant letter INTO the cutter and then plunge it out.

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%