"moving To Boston" Cake...ideas

Decorating By nursingnellie Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 6:00pm by hbquikcomjamesl

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 5:18pm
post #1 of 9

My brother-in-law and his wife are moving to Boston and I am making a cake for their going-away party. I'm looking for some ideas for a Boston-themed cake to bring. So far, we've been tossing around the sports teams (duh), the Boston tea party, and the Salem witch trials (yeah, that's our sense of humor).

But I haven't found the right inspiration yet so I thought I would run it by all of you lovely folks here, who are so wise and kind to help small-time cakers like me!

8 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 9

Download a map of Boston and print it on several sugar sheets. Cut them up and use them as the base for any figures that you do.

cakemaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker2 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 9

How about a simple Boston Cream Pie cake?

superdupercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superdupercakes Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 8:57pm
post #4 of 9

I made a cake for a couple moving from Florida to Minnesota. I cut out cake in the shape of each state and connected them with a cake made into a roadway between them. I used the horseshoe pan for the road and cut it in half and turned it to look like a curvy road. I then decorated each state featuring the weather such as sunny Florida with a beach scene and Minnesota with cold, snowy weather. On the road, I put a truck that I made with a picture of them in it with miniature furniture, lamp, etc. Sorry I don't have a pic of it to show you, but I think you get the idea. I did this also for a friend that was doing a biking expedition from the state of Washington to Maine. I hope this gives you some inspiration for yours.

BethV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethV Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 1:26pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakemaker2

How about a simple Boston Cream Pie cake?

I did this for last year's Superbowl since it was the Patriots playing. I made a Boston Cream Pie cake, covered with fondant, and decorated. Here is my blog post on it:

http://www.itsalwayssomeonesbirthday.com/2012/02/patriots-superbowl-2012-cake.html

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 3:45pm
post #6 of 9

Boston duck tours
Boston Symphony orchestra - Boston Pops
celtics, bruins , red sox

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 9

How about a scene with Boston's skyline in it - it can have the Charles River and maybe the Citgo sign, Fenway Park, the Tea Party Museum and maybe a swan boat or 2! (it's all right outside my door every day) icon_smile.gif
RJ

nursingnellie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nursingnellie Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 9

Thank you all so much! My husband is planning on helping me with the cake, so I'm going to run all of this by him when he gets home from work. I totally didn't think of the swan boats, I hope we can incorporate those somehow!

I'll let y'all know what happens! icon_smile.gif

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 6:00pm
post #9 of 9

Faneuil Hall?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%