"bakery-Style" Cupcakes

Baking By vgcea Updated 12 Aug 2012 , 5:23am by vgcea

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone.

I did a photo comparison of cupcake liners some months ago
Grocery store: Walmart's Bake Fresh brand
Specialty: Charming Creation's greaseproof brown liners in standard, tall and taller
Craft store: Michael's baking cups

I decided to go with Charming Creation's standard cups at that time.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370304816369902.79729.324144164319301&type=3

I did notice recently though that some cupcake shops in the area use the bigger cups (I've even seen one with muffin size cups). I liked that it looked different than than 'regular' cupcakes, and even though they cost more, I still felt it was worth it since I was getting 'more cupcake.' icon_biggrin.gif I could go either way using a #24 scoop and a standard cup or a #20 and a taller cup.

For those who have used standard vs bigger liners, which do you prefer? Are bakery-style cupcakes expected to be bigger?

3 replies
LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 1:58am
post #2 of 4

I buy and use all kinds of sizes including minis and the jumbos which are bigger than just the taller ones. When i use them just really depends on the customer or reason i am baking in them. Just like anything else, i feel there is a time and place for all of them. Obviously, the more cupcake you put in them, the more you can charge but for my regular old baking for myself or family, i always use standard size liners and mostly use standard liners for customers as well. Two bite cupcakes are the perfect size in my opinion. I've also found that spending a little more on better quality liners is important too especially for customers. I use Sweets & Treat Boutique cupcake liners - only their premium greaseproof liners though. If the batter fades the liners, then what was the point in spending the money???

Another note, i also like my batter to come almost to the top of my liner too. I like the overall look of that with the icing on top but to each their own! By the way, i love the comparison on your FB!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:55am
post #3 of 4

I also use four sizes, but exclusively the brown parchments from The Baker's Kitchen and Charming Creations.

To solve my size issue, I chose the tulip cup for my standard retail size used in my online business and my soon-to-open retail store. This gives nme a slightly larger cupcake, but also a great presentation. The ease of eating from these papers is another plus. Crumbs don't stick because there are no accordion folds.

I use standards for charities, minis and micros for corporate orders and buffets.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 5:23am
post #4 of 4

Thank you for these responses Lacy Hogan and scp1127. I don't know why I kept thinking to myself that I had to have just one size. Ahhh, caking, there's always something new to learn and research to death. I guess my liner-quest continues... deciding which batters do best in what liners, and what liners are more appropriate for what occasions/pricing tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%