Help.....cupcake Competion For Seniors

Business By sweetie112 Updated 12 Aug 2012 , 4:13am by sweetie112

sweetie112 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetie112 Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 11

I was approached by someone at an Assisted Living Facility about providing supplies and material for a cupcake competition. It's for senior appreciation day and the theme is art. She wants the seniors to ice their cupcake and has asked me to provide stuff they can use to decorate the cupcake. I am at a loss on what I can provide. Any ideas/thoughts will be greatly appreciated.

10 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 11

Are you being asked to donate? And to be there to lead the workshop? And I'm not clear if they want you to provide the baked cupcakes plus the decorating materials, or just the materials for decorating.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 11

Sprinkles.

sweetie112 Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Are you being asked to donate? And to be there to lead the workshop? And I'm not clear if they want you to provide the baked cupcakes plus the decorating materials, or just the materials for decorating.

I was asked to provide everything needed for the competition.

I thought about sprinkles but was thinking that would be something for children and how much decorting can be done with sprinkles.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 9:26pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie112

I thought about sprinkles but was thinking that would be something for children and how much decorting can be done with sprinkles.

How much decorating can be done on cupcakes? (Besides sprinkles, picks, roses, or figure piping.)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 11:12pm
post #6 of 11

What is their budget?

sweetie112 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:11am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetie112

How much decorating can be done on cupcakes? (Besides sprinkles, picks, roses, or figure piping.)

Based on your earlier response I thought you were suggesting sprinkles only. I am hoping to come up with decorations that tie into the art theme.

They did not set a budget. But are looking to me to come up with a cost based on what I will be providing.

Thanks for the link. Thats was informative.

If anyone else has ideas I sure would like to hear them.

cakesbyliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyliz Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:30am
post #9 of 11

I did something like this for teenagers and little kids so i had to have decorations that appealed to both groups and male and female. I knew it was coming up so when i had leftover fondant, i just made some more of whatever i was making. This way I was able to have quite a variety without it taking me too much work.
I took along...
Different flowers
Ferns and fern korus (the spirals)
A variety of sprinkles
silver balls, different sizes
More artistic things like squares, circles, triangles in different colours
Leaves, different sizes
A variety of bows
Snowflakes
Hearts
Then i also took along some fondant, different cutters and modeling tools so that the teenagers could make their own decorations. They didn't end up doing it but it was good to have there. I struggled making things that were more masculine but the teenage boys didn't worry too much.
Hope this helps.

jason_kraft Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:41am
post #10 of 11

I would price this by including the cost of the cupcakes (which would cover the ingredients, labor, delivery, and overhead for the cupcakes) plus the cost of the supplies (piping bags, sprinkles, etc.) and any additional labor involved in preparing for the class. If they want you to be there as a "teacher" you would also include your hourly rate in the quote, plus markup of course.

I wouldn't worry about skewing too young with the decorations. I doubt the seniors will mind (those who participate anyway) and there will probably be younger family members and volunteers helping as well.

Just make sure your liability insurance is up to date.

sweetie112 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 4:13am
post #11 of 11

Thanks cakesbyliz and jason_kraft for your ideas.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%