Having Trouble

Decorating By jlkallred Updated 11 Aug 2012 , 12:42pm by jlkallred

jlkallred Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlkallred Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 1:09pm
post #1 of 5

The bride doesn't want fondant, so these ruffles will be done w candy clay and attached to buttercream? So, I'm wondering....
Will that work?
Do I need to add gum paste to the candy clay to make them hold their shape better?

The wedding is in a hot part of Texas and I'm not sure yet if it'll be an outdoor or indoor reception (it's sept 22, so hopefully it will have cooled down a bit!)
I appreciate any suggestions!!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2327219/ruffle-wedding-cake

4 replies
cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 3:58pm
post #2 of 5

Personally, I wouldn't trust the buttercream to hold the weight of all those ruffles, especially if it's going to be outside in the TX heat. I would insist to the bride that in order to do that design you will need to cover the tier in fondant (or you could do a candy clay wrap). If she insists on her "no fondant" request, then tell her you would have to do buttercream ruffles instead.

jlkallred Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 5

**(or you could do a candy clay wrap)**

I've never heard of a candy clay wrap. Can you explain it to me?

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:03pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkallred

**(or you could do a candy clay wrap)**

I've never heard of a candy clay wrap. Can you explain it to me?

It's just covering your cake in modeling choc/candy clay, just like you would fondant. If you don't roll it too thin, you can just wrap it around the sides of the cake leaving the top clean. You should be able to smooth the seam out nice and even, but with the ruffles you really wouldn't have to.

Look up Baking Arts striped cakes for a good example of an modeling chocolate wrap - you just wouldn't need the stripes.

jlkallred Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 12:42pm
post #5 of 5

Hmm....This is so good to know! Thanks, Jennifer!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%