Help W Satin Ice

Decorating By Lucyem Updated 10 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm by Pearl645

Lucyem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucyem Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 12:44pm
post #1 of 2

I am relatively new to using fondant and have been trying different pre made fondants as well as making my own. I have been using up a tub of Satin Ice and it is driving me a little crazy. It is so not workable for me. It is like it is too wet and sticky but at the same time has no elasticity. As I roll it out I have to add a lot of confect sugar/cornstarch and then as I pick it up it just breaks and is still all sticky. It is humid right now here but I bought the tub over the winter and had the same issues then in our dry house.

I could easily dump it and say never again but for me a big part of the learning process is working to see if I can make it work. icon_biggrin.gif

1 reply
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 2

Interesting. I have tried Satin Ice many times and have found it is sticky. I only use it in black. The gum paste is too soft for me as well. I make my own fondant with gelatin, corn syrup, shortening, etc. and have less problems. It just takes a lot longer to make and roll out vs buying ready-made. Wilton fondant has a good roll out feel but just lacks a lot of flavour. I have seen a lot of reviews here on brands such as Massa, FondX, Fondarific, etc. If you have access to other brands, search for reviews here in the forums. Every now and then a new review pops up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%