Don't Like Pillsbury But I Found 18 Oz Box Mix

Decorating By sweettreat101 Updated 10 Aug 2012 , 11:24am by DeniseNH

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 8:14am
post #1 of 7

I have never really cared for Pillsbury but my local store still has a lot of the regular size boxes for sell. I have one tres leches cake recipe that uses one 18 oz box of white cake mix. I wonder if I should stock up on cake mix or use the boxes of Betty Crocker mixes that I already purchased (smaller boxes). I tired Pillsbury one time in the past and didn't find it as stable as Betty or Dunkin. Anyone else have that problem?

6 replies
ttshock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttshock Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 7

I just found 18oz. boxes of Pillsbury at my small grocery store and stocked up! I used to use only Duncan Hines, but prices and box sizes had me trying different brands, even the Aldi brand, and after doctoring them up the same way I always have, still getting raves!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 7

Considering the 18oz boxes are being phased out I recommend switching to a product that won't have supply issues down the road.

sweettreat101 Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 7

I even checked the generic brands and they cut the size of mix too.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 12:51am
post #5 of 7

I have been using Aldi's mixes since I jumped ship on Pillsbury (for about a month now....with NO PROBLEMS OR FAILURES). They are 99 cents a box and have pudding in the mix.

I AM DONE WITH PILLSBURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweettreat101 Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 9:13am
post #6 of 7

Unfortunately we don't have that store here on the west coast. If they did I would use them to.

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 11:24am
post #7 of 7

When Hines had really bad problems last Fall, I started mixing brands with great results. One DH with one Pillsbury or one DH with one Betty. I'm so sick of box mix problems that I'm gravitating to scratch mixed with a box half and half because scratch seems too heavy (like a pound cake). Adding a box mix with all the ingredients called for on the box back to a scratch recipe seems to be working.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%