Shortening/hi Ratio Shortening

Baking By Nakakna Updated 16 Aug 2012 , 4:45pm by atudor4

Nakakna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nakakna Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 10:19pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone! First post - glad to be here!

I've been using Spectrum shortening for my frosting recipes that call for shortening and I think it's been causing my frosting to be lumpy. When I color my frosting using gel colors (Wilton), the color doesn't really want to blend in and I see all these little lumps!

So now I'm on the hunt for a different shortening. I live in the Bay Area, California! What's a good brand of shortening I can get that's local?

I'd even get hi ratio shortening, but I'm just a hobbyist and I don't want 50 lbs! Is there a great online shop people use where I can get shortening from with not a lot of shipping costs?

Thanks for any help!

11 replies
Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 12

The first time I ordered hi ratio I purchased it from Global Sugar Art in a 12 lb quantity. I can't say for shipping, but anything that is heavy will cost a bundle to ship. Also, be aware that when shipping shortening in the summer it's a good idea pay for a cool pack to ship with it. 12 lbs is not as much as you would assume, and should be perfect for your hobby.icon_smile.gif

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 12:57am
post #3 of 12

I buy my high ratio shortening locally. I use the CK brand since it is so hot right now that I can't get my stuff online. Right now I am buying 3 lbs so I don't have to buy a huge amount. As for online, the heat is the problem right now and you will have to pay for ice packs. One site would only ship them to me with expedited shipping with ice packs. Call around your local restaurant supply stores or cake supply stores and see if they have any high ratio that is in small quantities.

High ratio is so awesome and I wouldn't dare to switch to a regular shortening now.

trishvanhoozer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishvanhoozer Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 1:41am
post #4 of 12

I am just a hobbiest and I bought the 50 lb. box of hi ratio shortening. I love it. I use it in everything I bake. Not just orders - but twinkie filling, whipped frosting, buttercream, family cakes, office cakes (even my biscuits and dumplins). It make a tremendous difference. I found a store that would order it for me, and I drove an hour to pick it up. Was cheaper than shipping and the shortening in bulk was not expensive as compared to Criso or another brand.

They have 3 lb and 12 lb packages - you can start there, but I bet you'll invest in the bulk price -- it is so nice to have on hand~

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 2:29am
post #5 of 12

I also recommend getting the 50# block of high ratio (I prefer Sweetex). In the San Jose area they should have it at Cash & Carry on W San Carlos, and BakeMark in Union City also carries it. Even if you have to throw out half of it you would probably still come out ahead once you factor in the higher price and shipping costs of smaller packages.

Note that you will probably only be able to find Sweetex Z (no trans fats) due to the trans fat ban. Without trans fats it is more temperature sensitive so keep it in a cool place.

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 2:32am
post #6 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishvanhoozer

I am just a hobbiest and I bought the 50 lb. box of hi ratio shortening. I love it. I use it in everything I bake. Not just orders - but twinkie filling, whipped frosting, buttercream, family cakes, office cakes (even my biscuits and dumplins). It make a tremendous difference. I found a store that would order it for me, and I drove an hour to pick it up. Was cheaper than shipping and the shortening in bulk was not expensive as compared to Criso or another brand.

They have 3 lb and 12 lb packages - you can start there, but I bet you'll invest in the bulk price -- it is so nice to have on hand~

I understand why people use this in icings, it holds up well. Aren't you concerned about the large amount of trans fat in high ratio shortening? These hydrogenated oils are what make it such a great performer, but would seem horribly unhealthy for everyday use.

If I get some trans fat ocasionally in a cake icing or something, I don't fret about it, but as an every day fat, no way. Heck butter and lard are less damaging to your health.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 2:43am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef

I understand why people use this in icings, it holds up well. Aren't you concerned about the large amount of trans fat in high ratio shortening? These hydrogenated oils are what make it such a great performer, but would seem horribly unhealthy for everyday use.

If you are eating enough cake every day to accumulate an unhealthy amount of trans fats you have far more serious problems than the trans fats.

bakechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakechef Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 11:55am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

If you are eating enough cake every day to accumulate an unhealthy amount of trans fats you have far more serious problems than the trans fats.

I think that you missed my point or didn't really read my post. I have no problem with some trans fat here or there in a dessert, but this poster clearly said that they were using it as an EVERYDAY sort of fat, and I was wondering if they knew how potentially unhealthy this could be.

To each their own, but you'd never see me using hydrogenated oils in regular cooking, honestly I can't remember when it was that I even had them in the house.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 2:19pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Quote:

I think that you missed my point or didn't really read my post. I have no problem with some trans fat here or there in a dessert, but this poster clearly said that they were using it as an EVERYDAY sort of fat, and I was wondering if they knew how potentially unhealthy this could be.

To each their own, but you'd never see me using hydrogenated oils in regular cooking, honestly I can't remember when it was that I even had them in the house.

I'm sorry but where in the person's post does it say that they use it for everyday use? I see that they use it for twinkies, cakes, biscuits, etc. Now, I don't eat any of these things on a normal basis. The last time I had shortening was over a month ago and it was a tiny slice (wedding cake)

There will always be a debate between people who use butter and people who use shortening. And that's ok...different strokes for different folks.

jason_kraft Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:

Perhaps you should reread the post you quoted...she said she uses it in everything she bakes (cakes and other desserts), not that she eats it "every day".

Nakakna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nakakna Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 5:13pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks all! I've been to the Cash&Carry but never for shortening - I'll go take a look! I have no idea what 50# of shortening looks like, nor if it'll fit in my house! How long does shortening keep (as long as I store it in a cool place)?

I forgot about it being hot and making it hard to ship. Thanks for the advice!

atudor4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
atudor4 Posted 16 Aug 2012 , 4:45pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeeflower

I buy my high ratio shortening locally. I use the CK brand since it is so hot right now that I can't get my stuff online. Right now I am buying 3 lbs so I don't have to buy a huge amount. As for online, the heat is the problem right now and you will have to pay for ice packs. One site would only ship them to me with expedited shipping with ice packs. Call around your local restaurant supply stores or cake supply stores and see if they have any high ratio that is in small quantities.

High ratio is so awesome and I wouldn't dare to switch to a regular shortening now.

Amen! I buy mine from CK as well. $12.00 a tub is kinda steep but it lasts awhile. We used Sweetex in pastry school too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%