Fondant In Hot Weather!

Decorating By xxkalesxx Updated 8 Aug 2012 , 8:04pm by DeniseNH

xxkalesxx Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hi Everyone!

I'm fairly new to this and have a couple of questions. I am making a cake for my parents anniversary party and am covering it with fondant as well as 25 fondant roses. I've mixed gum-tex with the fondant and colored it.
I need to make the roses in advance because I won't have a lot of time to assemble the cake before the party on the day-of.

I don't have air conditioning and it's been quite hot here lately. I'm wondering if I need to freeze or refrigerate the roses (and keep them in a cooler to transport) or if they will be okay in an air-tight container at room temperature. It's been about 30 degrees celcius everyday for the last week. I'm worried about them melting and causing myself more work!

3 replies
leah_s Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 6:13pm
post #2 of 4

You should just air dry them. Air tight is not a good thing.

xxkalesxx Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 4

The fondant won't melt then? That's all I'm really worried about icon_smile.gif Thanks!

DeniseNH Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

I had a fondant covered cake at an outdoor wedding in 92 degree heat and it didn't melt. But because of the high humidity it got really sticky. I would air dry your roses then cover them loosely to prevent dust but don't put them in a refrigerator because when you take them out the difference between the cold flowers and the hot room air will cause them to get sticky and sweat. Then I'd wait until the last minute to put them on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%