Suggestions For My Ice Cream Cookie Cake Issue?

Baking By planB Updated 18 Aug 2012 , 8:39pm by BakingIrene

planB Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 4:58pm
post #1 of 4

I have attempted a few times to make an ice cream cake at home instead of spending the 30 something dollars baskin-robbins charges as this is my husband's fav cake and wants it every year for his b-day. It's the only local one that combines real cake, ice cream and buttercream frosting (he hates the whipped topping type).
I decided to get creative and added a chocolate chip cookie layer. After giving it some thought, and based off what equipment I had already at the time, I decided to use this method:

*I used a springform to bake the cake (I went with a pound cake since I didn't want to fool with the trouble of sponge cake)
* removed it, used same pan to bake a choc chip cookie layer and let it cool completely.
* Leaving cookie in the pan, (first mistake learned) I then added softened icecream on top
* refroze so ice cream could firm and not melt any further soaking into the cookie
* then frosted with buttercream and decorations and froze again (my house was hot)
* I then just remove the ring from the springform

First issue I had was removing the cake from the bottom round of springform. Since I just left the cookie there and had used no parchment under it to bake, it froze to the bottom. After cooling it came off okay with a little work and a spatula.

Main issue is that its super hard to cut, even after letting it soften for 10 mins at room temp first and then using a hot knife.
Its the cookie layer that is the prob, it just gets too hard when frozen. I bake it leaving it a little undercooked in center just like I do my normal size cookies so that it remains chewy after cooling instead of crisp. A chewy cookie is also what I am going for with this cake since crispy would be hard for guests to cut with a fork.

What else can I do with this cookie layer? I thought about crushing cookie up and making a crumb layer with it but he said he preferred the actual cookie layer. I have thought about changing my cookie recipe but its the best one I have found.

Would a "cookie bar" work better? something softer? I don't know how those freeze either though.

Also, almost every ice cream cake recipe I have came across says to freeze ice cream layer separately in the mold and add later when assembling. Since I am using a springform pan and can just remove the sides, is there still any benefit to freezing it seperate as opposed to assembling all at once then freezing?

Any other suggestions anyone has based off my description are welcomeicon_smile.gif

3 replies
BakingIrene Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 7:57pm
post #2 of 4

You did right.

Cookie layer will be hard for about 30 minutes unless you rolled the dough real thin before baking. Cookie bars OK but also have to be spread thin to be cut while frozen.

You can try making a thin yellow cake layer with choc chips, using extra vanilla so it "tastes" like a choc chip cookie, but it cuts easier while frozen.

Also possible: thin yellow cake layers with a thin coating of melted chocolate on one or both sides. Let the coating set up before you buld the filled cake. That will prevent the ice cream from getting them messy.

DO NOT EVEN THINK about building an ice cream cake any way different than what you did. Need a pro reference? Karen Krasne book "extraordinary cakes".

scp1127 Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 3:08am
post #3 of 4

I do it differently mainly because I want my customers to be able to handle them easily. The ice cream layer is frozen the same size as the layers. The cake is delivered to the customer in three pieces, the bottom with a buttercream border, ice cream layer, and the top. When ready, the customer can easily add the ice cream layer to the bottom cake layer (or cookie), the the top is easily slid onto the ice cream layer by the customer with my instructions. The buttercream is swirled on the whole top starting at the middle with a 1C tip, making a very nice presentation with open sides, coordinating with the bottom border.

I don't like the cold cake when using homestyle recipes and cold IMBC is not good.

BakingIrene Posted 18 Aug 2012 , 8:39pm
post #4 of 4

I forgot to say last week, to bake a thinner cookie layer you will need to use mini-chips not the regular size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%