I Need Help Replicating This Cake, Pic Included.

Decorating By bluejean32 Updated 8 Aug 2012 , 8:15pm by kakeladi

bluejean32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejean32 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 3:34pm
post #1 of 7

I need help on how to get the tint of grren you see under the leaves. I need help to make the twig like thing around the center tier. What is the best thing to make the leaves out of and how to attach them. I have made plenty of cakes but nothing has had me this baffled.... thanks in advance. Any ideas or thoughts on any thing would be greatly appreciated!!!
LL

6 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 3:57pm
post #2 of 7

Description of this cake on The Knot says:

Earthy Wedding Cakes

Three-tiered white and green wedding cake accented with sugar flowers, soft sugar-made branches, and leaves.

Cake: Gail Watson Custom Cakes, New York, NY
Photo By: Antonis Achilleos

I think I would get the tint of green by covering the top and bottom tiers in fondant in very pale keylime green that shows through the flowers and leaves.
I'm still trying to figure out the branches.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 7

Could the branches be gumpaste (rolled into long strips to look like branches), then arranged to dry around something "tubular"...like a Crisco can (making sure the circumference is a bit larger than the circumference of the tier of cake once it's iced and decorated), then once the gumpaste is dry, slowly lowered it over the tier? I'm not sure what I'm saying makes much sense. What I'm picturing in my head is kind of the same technique you would use to make a gumpaste tiara, but instead of making one side open, surround the whole thing...then once dry, slide off.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 5:14pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

Could the branches be gumpaste (rolled into long strips to look like branches), then arranged to dry around something "tubular"...like a Crisco can (making sure the circumference is a bit larger than the circumference of the tier of cake once it's iced and decorated), then once the gumpaste is dry, slowly lowered it over the tier? I'm not sure what I'm saying makes much sense. What I'm picturing in my head is kind of the same technique you would use to make a gumpaste tiara, but instead of making one side open, surround the whole thing...then once dry, slide off.

Sure! Another reason for cake dummies!

Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 5:25pm
post #5 of 7

debidehn, you make a lot of sense. And if she wants, there are branch molds that make the job even easier to form before you wrap around the can. I found one on etsy.
http://www.etsy.com/listing/94658828/food-safe-silicone-mold-to-make-gumpaste?ga_search_query=branch

bluejean32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bluejean32 Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you so much. All this info is very helpful. I thought maybe the leaves were dusted with light green petal dust on the underneath, but using green fondant sounds good too. Thank you for the link to get a mold for the branch. The thought to use a cake dummy to wrap the brach to dry, never crossed my mind, GREAT idea! So I suppose my only unanswered questions are.... What is best to make the leaves from? Gumpaste, fondant, molding chocolate? How should I attach them? Is the a way to make these leaves with out buying the mold? I have one but it is very different in shape. Thanks again

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 8:15pm
post #7 of 7

the shape of the leaves would be rather easy to cut from a templet but to me it takes much more time and the investment of a cutter/mold would probably be worth it to me.....it just depends on how much time you have before the "big day" to make them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%