Frosting Buldging Out Between Layers

Decorating By Creative_Cookies_Cakes Updated 7 Aug 2012 , 6:02pm by dawnybird

Creative_Cookies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_Cookies_Cakes Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 11:45pm
post #1 of 10

I put a dam around the cake layer before I put frosting in between the two layers of cake. But I still have a problem with them buldging out after I have frosted the whole cake. Any idea's.

9 replies
srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 12:58am
post #2 of 10

Hope this might help you...it helped me! thumbs_up.gif

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-633571-.html

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:31am
post #3 of 10

More, thin layers with less filling in between each. Allow filled & crumb coated cake to settle for up to 24hrs. Gently scrape away any bulge in dam. Finish ice.

This is my method ^^

Rae

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:11pm
post #4 of 10

What is the consistency of your dam? If it's not stiff enough it won't hold the filling in. Make sure your filling only comes up to just below the dam and as BlakeCakes says be sure and let your cake settle so you can remove the bulge and then frost your cake. A lot of this is a settling issue.

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 10

Also if you're interested the Perfecting the Art of Buttercream DVD by Sharon Z is amazing. It address the bulge and teaches you how to create a totally smooth buttercream finish. It really improved my decorating.

You can order it at www.sugaredproductions.com

Her other DVDs are also great!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 10

I, too, have the problem of "the bulge"! I let the cake settle, but it sounds as if I'm not waiting long enough. I only wait an hour or two! Sillywabbitz, do you need to put a dam even if you're only using butter cream inside? I only dam if I'm using a soft filling like lemon curd, strawberry filling, etc. It seems I should just go ahead and buy the dvd and learn to do it the right way!

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:39pm
post #7 of 10

Sharon Z's dvd is so GOOD. it covers topic pretty thouroughly! i was having a rough time with that buldge too. the dvd helped a lot. the only thing i would add is that if you get a medium weight book or perhaps a 12" X 12" piece of tile (available [cheap] @ your local hardward store) and weigh the top of your cakes down while they are resting after you put the dam of icing on & filling in, it will help settle any other settling the cake needs to do before you ice with finished coat. Good luck! i know that buldge is maddening & if you're from a humid region, it can really be a problem. thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:55pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

I, too, have the problem of "the bulge"! I let the cake settle, but it sounds as if I'm not waiting long enough. I only wait an hour or two! Sillywabbitz, do you need to put a dam even if you're only using butter cream inside? I only dam if I'm using a soft filling like lemon curd, strawberry filling, etc. It seems I should just go ahead and buy the dvd and learn to do it the right way!

Because the damn should be significantly stiffer than your regular buttercream yes you should dam even if you're filling is just buttercream. I didn't a couple of times being lazy and the bulge was back. The DVD is worth every penny. I rewatch it before almost every cake.

gigiel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiel Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 10

"Icing Ridge between stacked & iced layers"

look at the answers on this ^ thread.
i posted similar question & lots of good answers were offered.
in the end, you have to use the method that works for you,
but isn't it great to have so many tips as starting points to find what will work for you.
only way to find out is through trial & error.

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 6:02pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnybird

Because the damn should be significantly stiffer than your regular buttercream yes you should dam even if you're filling is just buttercream. I didn't a couple of times being lazy and the bulge was back. The DVD is worth every penny. I rewatch it before almost every cake.

Okay, thanks for the tip. I'll start damming every time!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%