cakemeech201 Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 5:01pm
post #1 of

I've noticed that some of the 3D cakes I carve end up leaning slightly to one side, sometimes it happens after they settle. Is it something I'm doing to cause this? Any tips to avoid it in the future?? I even use bubble tea straws as support inside the cake! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
DeniseNH Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 5:32pm
post #2 of

I don't do carved cakes but here's a hint that might work for you. Ice each tier and insert the straws then let it set over night in the fridge. In the morning - have a good look at the top of the cake - get eye level with it and see if any of the straws need to be re-adjusted. If the cake settles over night then you have a second opportunity to level it before puttin it together.

KoryAK Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 10:04pm
post #3 of

The first thing that comes to mind is just to make sure you are treating it structurally like a tiered cake: board and dowels for every 4" vertical inches. That, coupled with keeping it chilled while you are working on it should keep it straight up.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 3:00am
post #4 of

Also buy a inexpensive level at the home improvement store and make sure your counter/table are level.

Is it always leaning the same way? Could it be omethng to do with your perspective as left handed or right handed?

cakemeech201 Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 1:45pm
post #5 of

It seems to lean towards the back like I'm pushing on it or something and it's usually only the top portion of the cake! the bottom layers seem straight.. icon_sad.gif

modthyrth Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of

Do you put one dowel through the entire thing? Perhaps that would help, in addition to the advice already offered.

sillywabbitz Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 6:46pm
post #7 of

Cakemeech,
Any chance you have pics? Seeing what type of designs and where the leaning occurs might help.

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 12:28am
post #8 of

This is photo is CakeMeech's cake that shows a bit of the lean. Her laptop is busted so I am posting it for her.
LL

sillywabbitz Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 12:30am
post #9 of

The only thing I can think of is did you add a cake board to on top to support the "roof" piece. The other thing would be next time to use a leveler and see if the square top piece is truly level.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%