Answer Needed Asap! Please!

Decorating By QuiteContrary Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 9:55pm by vgcea

QuiteContrary Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QuiteContrary Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 1:50pm
post #1 of 11

I have to give a price to a client for a wedding order.

The top tier is an 8" citrus /vanilla cake with buttercream, fondant lace pieces, silver dragees, with hand painted gumpaste roses and orchids on top. This is the one I need the pricing help for. Can you just give me a ballpark figure so I know where to start with this.

10 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 11

It just depends on the area you live in and your costs. It sounds like a lot of work...Personally I would charge between $80-$100 for the 8" plus the cost of flowers.

When pricing look at the costs of ingredients, your overhead, and also your labor charges to come up with your price. Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 11

For me the cake part would be 3.50 X 24 = 84 and I had a standard charge of $40 for a topper.

But frankly, an 8" top tier is kinda big.

In reality, I don't think OUR prices are necessarily YOUR prices.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 11

Do you have to buy a mold for the lace piece? Or are you piping it? Are you making the flowers or buying them? Are you using lots of fresh ingredients, or box mixes and pre packed filling? Lots of factors here.

QuiteContrary Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 11

The topcake is big because it is on top of a cupcake stand. The rest of the display is cupcakes and they wanted something a bit bigger than the 6". I already have a lace mold, the cake will be from scratch as will the buttercream, fondant and gumpaste. No filling in cake. I am also making the topper and handpainting/ dusting everything.

QuiteContrary Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 11

The topcake is big because it is on top of a cupcake stand. The rest of the display is cupcakes and they wanted something a bit bigger than the 6". I already have a lace mold, the cake will be from scratch as will the buttercream, fondant and gumpaste. No filling in cake. I am also making the topper and handpainting/ dusting everything.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:52pm
post #7 of 11

No filling? That seems odd. So it just 4"of solid cake?

And I use 6" rounds on top of my cupcake tower all the time.

QuiteContrary Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 4:04pm
post #8 of 11

Cake with no filling is the norm in the caribbean. If filling is needed that would have to be specified. The client felt the 6" would be too small. Cupcake towers are not traditional here and I guess they still want the feel of a big wedding cake. I am just a home baker in my spare time so I am learning these things as I go.

Millysweetdeals88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Millysweetdeals88 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 4:18pm
post #9 of 11

Considering you will be making everything from scratch, you should factor this into pricing the cake. It is true, you have to consider the area you are in and what other places are charging but you should be fair and true to your work. First, figure out the cost of ingredients, then the work you are putting into making the flowers and all the other decor on the cake. I'd say between $2 to $4 per serving for the cake part alone, then a separate cost for the fondant covering and decor. I charge a standard $2 per serving, a flat fee ($10 to $25) per tier covered in fondant, and another fee for handmade topper. Hope this helps.

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 8:02pm
post #10 of 11

What country are you in? I'm in the Caribbean as well so may be able to give you a better price feel based on the average prices in the region icon_smile.gif.and yes you are spot on - many Caribbean people really hate fillings in cakes and prefer single layer cakes. I get requests for cakes with no filling all the time.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 11

I'm not sure how people in other countries can help you price your product.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%