Please Help - Issue With Cake Filling

Decorating By clumsygirl Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 7:17am by sweettreat101

clumsygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clumsygirl Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 2:19am
post #1 of 5

I used pudding for a filling and when input the layers together the pudding started to seep out the sides. Is there anything that I can do to save this?

Thank you in advance for your response!

4 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:14am
post #2 of 5

Straight pudding is a slippery, slide-y, filling that will likely soak into the cake, too. I just don't recommend it. In fact, I won't do it.

That said, have you put a good stiff buttercream dam around the edge of the cake, about 1/4" in from the edge? That should keep it contained.

You may want to put a buttering of buttercream on each layer before putting it against the pudding, too, to stop the soaking issue.

You may be able to stabilize it a bit if you mix in some dry instant pudding mix of the same flavor.

Oh, and a cake with a pudding filling needs to be refrigerated or the pudding will break down quickly and not much, if anything, will save it.

HTH
Rae

clumsygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clumsygirl Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:21am
post #3 of 5

Thank you for your response! I took it apart, scraped what i could off and will make a canolli filling tomorrow.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 3:37am
post #4 of 5

Sounds like a good call.

Cannoli filling needs to be refrigerated, too, but it should be more stable.

Rae

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 7:17am
post #5 of 5

If you want to make a pudding filling use two cups whipping cream and one small box of pudding. Whip until peaks form. I use this for most of my cakes. Once whipped the pudding will last for a week in the fridge if you don't eat it first. I chill my cakes well before delivery and set up. I have had cakes displayed for four hours without any problems. One of my friends left cupcakes out on the counter overnight with this filling and ate them and she said they were fine. I in no way suggest leaving this filling out longer than four to five hours. If you want a filling that you can leave out for up to five days then substitute Frostin Pride or Bettercreme for the whipping cream and whip until peaks form.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%