What To Use Under Fondant?

Decorating By ChocolateLove Updated 3 Aug 2012 , 9:10pm by ChocolateLove

ChocolateLove Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 11:38pm
post #1 of 5

I have previously used buttercream under my MMF cake, and left it overnight on the counter. it was all fine in the morning for delivery.

This time I want to experiment with genache, or chocolate mousse, or Italian buttercream.
If I want to make my cake a day before and leave it outside (since I cant refrigerate fondant),
how can I use genache or chocolate mousse or italian BC effectively? will they still taste fresh or melt underneath?
Do I need a specific room temperature?
I need all the help from all the wonderful bakers out there!
Thankss icon_smile.gif

4 replies
lovinspoonfull Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:09am
post #2 of 5

Chocolate ganache sets up wonderfully. It also makes a really clean surface for your fondant. A basic recipe of 2 parts dark chocolate to 1 part heavy cream is what I like to use. If using milk or white chocolate make the ratio 3 parts to 1 part heavy cream.

ChocolateLove Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 1:17am
post #3 of 5

Lovinsspoonfull-can you please tell me the process of the genache and fondant? please icon_smile.gif
I love ganache, but its pretty new to me.
Should I ice with buttercream first and then pour it, then let it it room temperature until it firms and thickens and then put fondant on it?
Also, will a cake iced with ganache and fondant stay overnight on the kitchen counter?

Any other tips?

thanks you! icon_smile.gif

lovinspoonfull Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 8:07pm
post #4 of 5

Sure! There is no need for buttercream or pouring. If you make the ganache a day ahead of time and let it set up, you can microwave it in little bursts of time until it is the consistency of buttercream. Then you just apply it to the cake in the same way that you would with buttercream.
Inspiredbymichelle has a great tutorial for this, including the fondant. There are 3 parts to watch.

ChocolateLove Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 5

Thats a wonderful tutorial! icon_smile.gif thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%