Rainbow Cake From Whisk Kid

Decorating By Thea519 Updated 7 Aug 2012 , 11:11pm by Pearl645

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 12

Have any of you tried the rainbow cake on Whisk Kid's website? If so, do you have any good tips for me? I'll be attempting it tonight and I just want to take every precaution I can so I won't have to chunk it and do it all over again! Here's the link to the site: http://www.whisk-kid.com/2009/08/say-it-with-cake.html

Here are some things I've come up with myself:
1. Weigh the batter to make sure all the layers are the same size.
2. Use even bake strips so the layers will be nice and level.
3. Pipe the filling to make sure all the layers of icing are the same thickness.
4. Maybe insert one dowel in the center of the cake to make sure it doesn't slide around in transport?

In my many google searches, I've come to realize this cake turns out either really amazing (like the one on the Whisk Kid site) or reallllllllly bad, like this one... So any tips and ideas would be greatly appreciated!
LL

11 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 12

The creator of the bad one didn't bother leveling each tier. One tip, freeze each tier before leveling or cutting it horizontally. The freezing process makes it less of a pain to cut.

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 12

That's a good one, DeniseNH! I don't work much with frozen cake, but I've heard that's the easiest way to trim it.

Lucygoosey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lucygoosey Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 12

I made this cake last year for my daughter's birthday.
I didn't need the cake strips because the cakes baked evenly.
I did freeze the layers because I made them in advance. I took them out and let them come to almost room temperature before assembly.
I lined the pans with parchment paper.
You do need to follow her advice as to the amount of butter cream needed,it's a lot.
This cake was very tall and I did use a dowel to keep the layers from shifting.
I kept the cake in the fridge until 30 minutes before serving.

Here's my rainbow cake.

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 12

"You do need to follow her advice as to the amount of butter cream needed,it's a lot."
What the purpose of using so much icing between layers?? I think it looks just as good with a bit less...and you have less risk of shifting layers!

Rosegin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosegin Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 7:23am
post #6 of 12

I'm new here but I did make that cake. I put lemon cream cheese frosting on mine. The layers baked very evenly and it turned out wonderfully.

Let's hope this photo works!

~~Sandy

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 12

Is this gel food colouring added to a yellow or white cake batter? Not sure if I missed this in the link about. How does this taste? Does the food colouring make it taste different or slightly bitter? I'm interested in trying this. Any links to how many drops of food colouring to add?

Rosegin Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 9:27pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearl645

Is this gel food colouring added to a yellow or white cake batter? Not sure if I missed this in the link about. How does this taste? Does the food colouring make it taste different or slightly bitter? I'm interested in trying this. Any links to how many drops of food colouring to add?

I used grocery store gel colors and I didn't notice any bitterness. I'm usually pretty sensitive to food color flavor, too. The cake was just delicious!

Pearl645 Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 4:33am
post #9 of 12

Thanks! Can this rainbow cake be made with a yellow or white cake? Which is preferrable or gives better results?

Rosegin Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 5:31pm
post #10 of 12

I followed the recipe, it's a white cake.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 6:55am
post #11 of 12

The best cake to use for a rainbow cake is white cake made with egg whites and clear vanilla. Any yellow in the batter affects the color outcome. It is very important to level each layer, as others have posted. Here is a picture of the inside of one I did recently. HTH
LL

Pearl645 Posted 7 Aug 2012 , 11:11pm
post #12 of 12

Wow! Looks great! Thanks for the pic and advice icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%