Merckens Rainbow Melts Are Lumpy! Help Please

Decorating By BethV Updated 4 Aug 2012 , 5:47am by cheatize

BethV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethV Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all! I'm making cake pops, and I find that the white Merckens melts are sooo much smoother than the colored ones. I am making green olive cake pops so yesterday I melted 1 cup of green and 1/4 cup of yellow in a Pyrex cup in the microwave at 30 second intervals, 50% power. I added some shortening chips, and while the consistency was good, there were still some lumps in it (mainly yellow lumps). For my second batch I melted the 2 colors separately and then mixed, and still had issues.

Does anyone have any suggestions for melting the rainbow melts and getting rid of lumps? I do not own a double boiler, so I think I need to do it in the microwave.

Thanks!

5 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 6

When that happens its a sure sign the chocolate is old. The lumps pretty much stay there. Even Paramount Crystals won't always solve it.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, what she ^^^^ said

Blueridgebuttercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blueridgebuttercream Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 6

As an aside, for a double boiler, all you need to do is find one of your bowls that will fit slightly down inside the pan, leaving some headspace for the water to not touch your bowl. Voila! Instant double boiler. My Kitchenaid mixer bowls serve as double boiler tops all the time.

BethV Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BethV Posted 3 Aug 2012 , 9:17pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you, everyone! I ran out of chocolate and bought more, and it was perfect! The yellow I got must have been old.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 5:47am
post #6 of 6

I just pitched a bunch of candy melts. Lesson learned: not an item to stock up on unless you use them frequently. I had an opened, but well sealed, bag that was less than a couple of months old. It was lumpy and I never did get all the lumps out using shortening. I just avoided the lumps since the cake pops were for in-house consumption.

It stinks for me because I kept some on hand to make cake pops from leftover cake in the freezer when I find time. Now I got all this naked cake and no chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%