Cupcake Scoop

Baking By Thea519 Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 4:24pm by saraek

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:15pm
post #1 of 31

I'm baking more and more cupcakes these days, so I'm wanting to buy an "ice cream" scoop to insure uniformity. Amazon sells several different sizes and I'm not sure which one would be best- 2 Tbsp, 3 Tbsp, or 4 Tbsp???

TIA!

30 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 31

Surely you have a 1/4 measuring cup in your cupboard that you could use - if your making standard size cupcakes...
I was just reading and contributing to a blog about this very subject - the things we are sold - when in actual fact - we *have* the equipment right under our nose.

If your cupcakes are smaller than 1/4 cup measuring cup size - why not just use a tablespoon...

They have both *worked* for me all of these years.

Bluehue

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 31

There are called Portion Scoops and if you have a restaurant supply store in your town they will have them. I use the 3 T one. They are inexpensive and wonderfully convenient.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:42pm
post #4 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by leah_s

There are called Portion Scoops and if you have a restaurant supply store in your town they will have them. I use the 3 T one. They are inexpensive and wonderfully convenient.

Lolll - so are measuring cups and tablespoons that we all have in our cupboards....Just as conveniant as *special portion scoops*
Yes, i can buy these things wholesale - but why would i icon_confused.gif
I think people who sell special portion scoops could sell ice to the Eskimos - lolllllllllll

Bluehue

Thea519 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 31

It's all about the convenience. I've used measuring cups and spoons before and they are both very messy. Also, with nothing to scrape out the inside on the spoon or cup, the portion sizes are almost never exactly the same.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thea519

It's all about the convenience. I've used measuring cups and spoons before and they are both very messy. Also, with nothing to scrape out the inside on the spoon or cup, the portion sizes are almost never exactly the same.

A flat bladed butter knife works a treat for getting the batter out of a measuring cup... even a smaller version which is called a Pate knife.
But i can see its icon_rolleyes.gif for some - so i will say OK - and leave it at that.

Bluehue

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 31

Well, here's why. Obviously she's been getting by, but she is looking for a faster, better way.

I have made cupcakes for years exactly the way you say. I took a measuring cup, scooped and dumped.. Often, I would have a spoon in the other hand to scrape the measuring cup if I needed them to be uniform. It worked OK. But, not everyone was exactly the same size. Then I didn't care.

But now, it matters. My time also matters. For a one-time $7 purchase, I can scoop and dump and scrape clean very quickly with one hand. Every cupcake comes out the same size, every time. They also help considerably for those in business since you can better plan for expenses. It is considerably less effective to have a batch make 20 cupcakes one day and 28 the next.

In addition, it is even more critical for the home cook. If she needs a certain amount of cupcakes for school, and uses the wrong measuring scoop, she'll be making a double batch. That sucks.

Pre-measured scoops are useful and good for a lot of us Eskimos.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:30pm
post #8 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Well, here's why. Obviously she's been getting by, but she is looking for a faster, better way.

I have made cupcakes for years exactly the way you say. I took a measuring cup, scooped and dumped.. Often, I would have a spoon in the other hand to scrape the measuring cup if I needed them to be uniform. It worked OK. But, not everyone was exactly the same size. Then I didn't care. Really - most odd.
But now, it matters. My time also matters. For a one-time $7 purchase, I can scoop and dump and scrape clean very quickly with one hand. Every cupcake comes out the same size, every time. They also help considerably for those in business since you can better plan for expenses. Oh please - i am in Business and the way i fill my cupcases is no more time wasting or an ill planned Business Plan than your way. It is considerably less effective to have a batch make 20 cupcakes one day and 28 the next..... again i say REALLY - i haven't had that happen - the measuring cup i use delivers the same ammount in all the cupcake cases - But each to thier own -

In addition, it is even more critical for the home cook. If she needs a certain amount of cupcakes for school, and uses the wrong measuring scoop, she'll be making a double batch. That sucks....Lolll - thats called not paying attention - surely one would realise after the first cupcake - Pre-measured scoops are useful and good for a lot of us Eskimos.... I am glad for you and your fellow Eskimos.
1/4 cup measuring cups work just great for this busy little Eskimo just as a Tablespoon does...

Happy caking...
Bluehue.

icon_smile.gif

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:31pm
post #9 of 31

If you only occasionally bake then the measuring cup and spoon method is perfectly fine. But if you're baking all the time or making cupcakes to sell then the scoop is a great invest. Speaking as someone who's used but method I wouldn't give up my scoop. I'm able to work cleaner and more efficiently.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:37pm
post #10 of 31

I guess the reason i laugh at the wonderful invention of the Cupcake Scoop - is because it is actually an Ice Cream Scoop...

And yes we have them way over here = in 3 sizes...
And they are still called Ice Cream Scoops.

Bluehue

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 31

So, 3 T or 4T (which equals 1/4 cup)? I use an ice cream scoop because I'm less likely to spill batter that way, but I don't think I have the right size, because I have to overfill it.

j92383 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j92383 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:25pm
post #12 of 31

I guess the reason i laugh at the wonderful invention of the Cupcake Scoop - is because it is actually an Ice Cream Scoop...

And yes we have them way over here = in 3 sizes...
And they are still called Ice Cream Scoops.

: ) by the way mines is just an "icecream" scoop from the grocery store. It costed several dollars less than the cupcake scoops I saw online. I figured out they were the exact same thing too

Thea519 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:28pm
post #13 of 31

icon_surprised.gif No need for all that attitude, Blue! This seems like something you feel extremely strongly about, so there's no need to go 'round and 'round about whose method is superior. But, for the record, I never asked for anyone's opinion on whether or not I should buy a stinkin' scoop! icon_surprised.gif

matthewkyrankelly, you hit the nail on the head! And to add to it, if there's a tool out there that will make my baking (and by extension, my life) easier, then I'm going to use it!!

FACSlady, 1/4c = 4 Tbsp. I think that's probably the one I'll go with. I like my cupcakes nice and rounded on top, so they're not laden with frosting.

ranae5463 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranae5463 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:33pm
post #14 of 31

I just use the ice cream scoop I got at the grocery store years and years ago. It works perfectly every time. I think it's about 3 Tbsp.

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 8:54pm
post #15 of 31

Thea519, I worded that awkwardly; I know that 1/4 cup equals 4 tablespoons ( I teach cooking to kids), but thank you for that. So Is that the measurement you use?
Ranea5463, you use 3 tablespoons? Thanks for answering, but I'm still confused. And do you all use level tablespoons or are they rounded?

Thea519 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:05pm
post #16 of 31

FACSlady- Lol, sorry! I misunderstood! And to answer your question, I've never really used an EXACT measurement. I use my 1 Tbsp measuring spoon and dip until they're between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way full. That's usually somewhere between 3 and 4 Tbsp.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:17am
post #17 of 31

Didn't know they invented a "cupcake scoop". I actually use my 4 tbsp ice cream scoop for recipes that are thicker. I like the curved piece inside the scoop that scrapes most of the batter out. For my runnier batters, I use a 1/4 dry ingredients measuring cup. Just a personal preference. Get the same no. of cupcakes each and every time. I also tried putting batter into piping bags ...saw this somewhere on youtube but that was very messy.

Bluehue Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:35am
post #18 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thea519

icon_surprised.gif No need for all that attitude, Blue! This seems like something you feel extremely strongly about, so there's no need to go 'round and 'round about whose method is superior. But, for the record, I never asked for anyone's opinion on whether or not I should buy a stinkin' scoop! icon_surprised.gif

Lolllll - all the Attitude - thats hysterical.

I'll have my say just like the rest of you have your say - thank you very much..... last time i looked you weren't the person to tell me otherwise - icon_smile.gif
Attitude - that is so par sae....lollllllllllllllllllllllll
Nope, can't say i have ever felt strongly about a $1.50 icecream scoop - good grief - what fool would. lollllllllllllllllll
Oh sorry - i thought the thread was about - ...what would one use ...thus the answers...
I must have misread the original post - what actual subject was this thread meant to be about -
Slap forehead - perhaps it was about *the pecking order of some on this Forum - you think? - lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Hysterical..............................*yawn*

Bluehue

matthewkyrankelly, you hit the nail on the head! And to add to it, if there's a tool out there that will make my baking (and by extension, my life) easier, then I'm going to use it!!

FACSlady, 1/4c = 4 Tbsp. I think that's probably the one I'll go with. I like my cupcakes nice and rounded on top, so they're not laden with frosting.

Thea519 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 31

Goodness, Blue! I don't even know what to think about all that, haha. And to be honest, I don't really care about any of it except for that last part. What exactly do you mean by the "pecking order of some on this forum?" Just curious icon_smile.gif

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 12:23am
post #20 of 31

I get mine from www.webstaurantstore.com If you buy 2 you can save on the shipping. I have what is the equivalent to a 3-1/2 TBSP. Works great on my liners that are 2" wide on the bottom.

I love using mine, and it makes wonderfully uniform cupcakes every time.

toleshed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toleshed Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 12:31am
post #21 of 31

So are we talking like the Norpro cupcake scoop? Something like that? I had to make 177 cupcakes saturday for a lyme benefit dinner. I put the batter into a large piping bag. It worked so great. But if this works better, I'd like to try that.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 9:56am
post #22 of 31

Yes, like Norpro. Vollrath also makes them. There are good restaurant supply stores that carry them for under $10. They have a number printed on the moving arm of the bowl that indicates the size. I use a number 20 for my cupcakes - a tad over 3 tablespoons.

I keep three sizes, smaller for cookies, larger for muffins. Personally, I find them handy.

sfandm Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 12:48pm
post #23 of 31

Mine is #24, the 1.33 oz. all silver colored scoop, it is $6.99 at www.webstaurantstore.com

Item # is 92247155

I got 2 and have one packed away for future use. I would never use anything else, it makes perfectly domed cupcakes that go just to the top of my liners.

toleshed Posted 8 Aug 2012 , 10:19pm
post #24 of 31

thanks so much!!

MJbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MJbakes Posted 9 Aug 2012 , 4:04pm
post #25 of 31

I actually use the Wilton "cookie" scoop. It has that built in scraper thing it it works great!

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 1:31pm
post #26 of 31

OP if you're interested in seeing how a #24 scoop fills a standard cupcake liner you can check out a photo comparison album I made a few months ago. I was really comparing cupcake liners but a visual might help you decide whether you want a #24 or the regular ice-cream scoop (which I believe is equivalent to a #20). I have both as some of my batters do well with different size scoops.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.370304816369902.79729.324144164319301&type=3

toleshed Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 6:14pm
post #27 of 31

that is absolutely great vgcea. Thanks so much

sfandm Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 6:19pm
post #28 of 31

I like the tutorial vgcea. I only use one size, all purchased via third party from CK. Glassine and love them all.

Thanks for sharing.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 11 Aug 2012 , 6:58pm
post #29 of 31

You're both welcome!

LacyHogan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LacyHogan Posted 12 Aug 2012 , 2:05am
post #30 of 31

Wow, is this a heated discussion or what?!?

I already had a medium cookie/ice cream scoop and that is what i use. I got it from Bed, Bath, & Beyond and used my 20% off coupon. I scoop the batter and level it off with a rubber spatula. Two scoops of this fill a standard size liner perfectly for them all to be uniform. it's not a lot of work at all and they all bake up exactly the same. FWIW, i had no idea there was a such thing as a cupcake scoop. It's all about marketing for sure!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%