Terrified Of Ganache

Decorating By HalifaxMommy Updated 27 Jun 2013 , 3:28pm by AlicesMadBatter

ThreeFifty Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 8:38pm
post #31 of 53

AOk, I'm new at not only this sight but the world of caking! NEVER used ganache before. I like to keep my cakes in the fridge while making and after its made. If I use ganache to crumb coat the cakes before I put fondant on it, can I still keep it in the fridge or will it get rock hard?

newbaker55 Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 9:19pm
post #32 of 53

Welcome ThreeFifty! This is a great site to learn and share. I got addicted in 2009icon_biggrin.gif

Ganache+cold = rock hard...but that's the beauty, especially if you intend to smooth fondant over it.

It will soften, though,when your finished product is brought to room temp. HTH

Just out of curiosity, why do you...?icon_smile.gif

"...like to keep my cakes in the fridge while making and after its made".

ThreeFifty Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 9:30pm
post #33 of 53

AStupid question what's HTH?

Mainly because I use buttercream under marshmallow fondant and if I don't keep it cold, it sometimes gets droopy. Also, I like the taste of cold cake!!! :)

Kimdarella Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 9:34pm
post #34 of 53

Another Aussie here who uses ganache instead of buttercream under fondant, most of the time.  It just tastes better is really easy and smooths so well. imho.

As has already been suggested by a few others, if you are unsure, then use a good quality eating chocolate, like Lindt, NOT a cooking chocolate which I understand is unsweetened in the USA.

The better the quality the chocolate, the better the finished product... it is not the cheapest thing, compared to buttercream, but it is so much yummier.

mcaulir Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 9:52pm
post #35 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFifty 

Stupid question what's HTH?
Mainly because I use buttercream under marshmallow fondant and if I don't keep it cold, it sometimes gets droopy. Also, I like the taste of cold cake!!! icon_smile.gif

'Hope this helps'

Ganache won't get droopy at room temp, so no need to fridge your cake.

Ganache gets firm, but not rock hard in the way that chocolate does. As in, it won't crack. It is still able to be bitten through easily, even when cold.

ellavanilla Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 10:14pm
post #36 of 53

ganache, truly a gift from the gods. i can't think of anything better than cream and chocolate...

i use rose's recipe too. i've used it both ways, and i've made it with regular generic chips. it has never failed me.

ThreeFifty Posted 4 Jan 2013 , 11:16pm
post #37 of 53

AGood to know, thanks everyone!!

mchull Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 8:24pm
post #38 of 53

OK, I've been looking for everyting I can find on "ganache" trying to arm myself to make my first layered cake with!  I think I'm almost ready.  Just one last thing that I'm not confident about:

If I use buttercream everything I've seen suggests building a "dam" just inside the edge of every layer (similiar to outlining when decorating cookies with royal icing) then filling inside that dam with your chosen filling or slightly thinner buttercream (similar to flooding on cookies). 

So If I am using ganache between layers, do I still need to use the "dam" technique? 

From my research using a dam helps prevent bulging of the filling when the fondant is added. 

Would so appreciate any feedback from those that are experienced with this!

Evoir Posted 9 Jan 2013 , 9:24pm
post #39 of 53

AUnless your ganache is super soft then no you shouldn't need it. If you use a soft filling of any kind you should use a dam. A dam made from the same ganache you're covering your cake with (under fondant) will do the job.

HTH!

pinky73 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 7:05pm
post #40 of 53

I have to thank you all for transporting me away from a non-descript office in an industrial park, in Missouri, in winter..to pots of white chocolate ganache and Australia..two things that need no improvement in anyway. I should also thank you for all of the really great information on ganache. I have always been scared to attempt it, in any form, thinking that I would ruin a perfectly good cake with some bastardized version of Magic Shell. I think I am actually going to summon up the courage to try ganache this weekend..on a "for me only" cake.

LoriMc Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 6:12pm
post #41 of 53

Ok, I'm attempting this. 

Bought some heavy whipping cream, which does not list the amount of fat, so I'm hoping it's the right thing.  Also bought Baker's semi-sweet baking chocolate squares.  I was hoping to use this today as a filling.  Right now it's all melted and stirred.  If I put it in the frig, how long before I can use it?

Also, when people say "whip" it.  Do you put it in your kitchenaid, or do you mean just by hand?

sfandm Posted 22 Mar 2013 , 9:28pm
post #42 of 53

I don't have heavy cream on hand very often, but one recipe I tried and absolutely love is found here-

This woman is awesome. Complete tutorial. Try it for chocolate.

LoriMc Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 7:45pm
post #43 of 53

Didn't work for me icon_cool.gif

Mine has been in the frig for 24 hours, and it's still a pourable mess.

Norasmom Posted 23 Mar 2013 , 8:13pm
post #44 of 53

Thanks for this thread!

novice baker Posted 25 Mar 2013 , 1:22pm
post #45 of 53

AI am making a choc mud cake and a caramel mudcake for a wedding cake for my step daughters wedding. the cake was going to be frozen and transported by me in about a month. Can anyone tell me if I can make the cakes now and put ganache on them and the fondant and freeze them or would that effect the cake when they get defrosted . Thanks all

mcsprinkles Posted 27 Mar 2013 , 4:07am
post #46 of 53

Hi novice!

You can make, ganache and freeze cakes, just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and keep them wrapped until totally thawaed. This prevents any moisture from hitting the ganache, as we all know, chocolate + water = disaster!

Some say you can freeze Satin Ice fondant, again, I'd use plastic wrap and thaw wrapped to avoid moisture on your fondant. Probably best to freeze ganached cakes then thaw and fondant when you are ready.

HTH!

auntginn Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 4:42pm
post #47 of 53

One more question, Can I use ganache instead of buttercream to ice my cake.  I've only used ganache poured on top of an iced cake, like a chocolate coating.  I would like to use it instead of buttercream.  Is this possible or do I need to ice with buttercream first.

Homemadebytz Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 7:39pm
post #48 of 53

Yes you can. I am attempting to use it this weekend for my first wedding cake. I have seen quite a few youtube videos and keeping my fingers crossed for success. 

Chellescakes Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:31pm
post #49 of 53

AuntGinn, Just let the ganache set up overnight and use it just like you would buttercream. 

I crumb coat with it , pipe with it, fill cakes with it.  It is sooo much easier to make than buttercream , less messy , less time consuming. 

Pickulz Posted 13 Jun 2013 , 5:54pm
post #51 of 53

save

SPCOhio Posted 16 Jun 2013 , 10:12pm
post #52 of 53

AI used chocolate ganache under fondant for the first time today and I was really happy with how easy it was to get sharp edges and clean lines. I feel like the fondant was easier to apply, as well. Perhaps because it is a firm, non-giving surface whereas buttercream is not? I always feel like fondant slides around too much on buttercream, increasing the chances of tears and gathering. The chocolate I used was not super fancy. It was chocolate from a local ice cream/bakery/chocolatier shop whose label indicated it was only 42% cocoa. I was hesitant to use it, but after seeing the advice to use what you like to eat, I went for it. It was a good eating chocolate, better quality than Hershey's, Baker's or Ghiradelli and I enjoyed the flavor much better over Lindt. I'll try it with some Callebaut or Scharfenberger's next time.

I just wanted to share my experience with others who, like me, hate to spend money and timer an process or recipe that doesn't work!

AlicesMadBatter Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 3:28pm
post #53 of 53

I had the same result as arkmilklady above. The ganache filling/frosting was too hard and the cake almost separated from the cake when I cut it.  Maybe I got the ratio wrong and there was too much chocolate to cream?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%