Store Windows?

Decorating By Claire138 Updated 2 Aug 2012 , 1:34am by cakecraving

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:21am
post #1 of 21

I'm making a cake for a friend who owns a store but am stumped on how to do the windows, I really want to get this right as the windows make up the most part of the store. I was thinking about covering in white fondant and then lightly covering in clear piping gel to give a sort of clear look or melting sugar and pouring it but don't know if either will work, do any of you have any better ideas?

20 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:14am
post #2 of 21

My cake supply store carries clear gelatin sheets. They are very thin and would look like glass. http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/gelatin-sheet-20-sheets/p/IN0160/

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 21

Problem is, I need them too soon so I won't be able to order them. Can I make my own gelatin and use it? if so, do you or anyone else have any tips on how?

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:58pm
post #4 of 21

That gelatin is a great idea. You can also use isomalt Im not sure if you have time for this either. I know most cake supply shops carry it. You can look up how to melt sugar and poor into catings or molds. Im not sure if this would work I have never done it but I dont see why it wouldn't. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 1:03pm
post #5 of 21

Well I need it for friday, isomalt is not an option but I do have gelatin in the cuboard so my next question is - how do I prepare/use it? I've never used it before (& can't even remember what I bought it for) so any help much appreciated.
Does it dry? do I spread it? do I make it just before using or can it be made in advance? any other questions I should be asking?

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #6 of 21

I googled it and found this site
http://homecooking.about.com/od/specificfood/a/gelatintips.htm
I hope this helps they have some very helpfull tips

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #7 of 21

I googled it and found this site
http://homecooking.about.com/od/specificfood/a/gelatintips.htm
I hope this helps they have some very helpfull tips

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 21

Thanks CakeCraving but I'm still not sure how to do it exactly! I'm very visual so am having a hard time understanding the process so any tips great appreciated!

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 21

I don't personally work with gelatin. I would look on you tube for videos. Sorry I can't be more help.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:06pm
post #10 of 21

I googled How to make gelatin sheets and I got nothing. It is also called Leaf Gelatin. Do you have a local cake supply near you? I'm sure they would have them.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:17pm
post #11 of 21

I don't have a supply shop for stuff like that near me at all, I bought the gelatin in a regular grocery store, for anything more cake-y I have to travel over seas so I have to make do with what I have which is this gelatin that I still can't figure out how to use (I would put a sad or crying emoticon here but don't know how to do that either!)

From what I figure, I make the gelatin in a bowl & then I can't figure out what to do next : do I pour it over the fondant? wait for it to settle like if I were making jelly/jello? put it in the fridge? make it in advance? make it right before using?

(fill in another sad or crying emoticon here!)

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:32pm
post #12 of 21

Is the cake to be eaten or just for display?

If it is just for display - why not use clear cellophane over the white fondant to give that *galss* effect.
It shall pick up the light and shine as tho glass.

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 21

Bluehue, that's a wonderful idea except that it is to be eaten, ugh, I am so frustrated.

Cakecraving: this is what I read on the link you sent me 'Keep gelatin dishes refrigerated until ready to serve to maintain their gelatinous state' so I think that nixes using it unless anyone reading this has had some success and knows otherwise, if so, please join the conversation & let me (us) know.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:45pm
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Bluehue, that's a wonderful idea except that it is to be eaten, ugh, I am so frustrated.
Ok - lets scrap that idea - lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Go with your piping gel idea.
Just use a small brush - paint it on thinly - in the same direction - let dry for an hour or so - then see if it needs another coat - seeing as time and availability is against you - i think this would be your best bet...
Bluehue.

Cakecraving: this is what I read on the link you sent me 'Keep gelatin dishes refrigerated until ready to serve to maintain their gelatinous state' so I think that nixes using it unless anyone reading this has had some success and knows otherwise, if so, please join the conversation & let me (us) know.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:00pm
post #15 of 21

Thanks Bluehue, that's what I'll do. So relieved!

Thanks to everyone who helped out & thanks as always to CC for giving us this amazing site where we can always find someone to help us out in not making a complete cake-tastrophe!

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:02pm
post #16 of 21

This might work.. it is for gelatin gems but the same concept..

http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/gelatin-gems

Good luck

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
post #17 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Thanks Bluehue, that's what I'll do. So relieved!

Thanks to everyone who helped out & thanks as always to CC for giving us this amazing site where we can always find someone to help us out in not making a complete cake-tastrophe!

Do let us know how you go - and hopefully post a pic -
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:34pm
post #18 of 21

Will do!

LuckyLibra, thanks but am going to stick with the piping gel especially as it's something I've done countless times so am more at ease.

luckylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luckylibra Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:38pm
post #19 of 21

sounds like a great plan!! Have fun with it.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 21

Fun? not sure about that as it's for my friend's dads surprise birthday. Said dad owns the most successful bakery in town. I'm beyond intimidated.
Thanks though!

cakecraving Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:34am
post #21 of 21

OP you will do fine. Bluehue saves the day again. Good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%