Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:21am
post #1 of

I'm making a cake for a friend who owns a store but am stumped on how to do the windows, I really want to get this right as the windows make up the most part of the store. I was thinking about covering in white fondant and then lightly covering in clear piping gel to give a sort of clear look or melting sugar and pouring it but don't know if either will work, do any of you have any better ideas?

20 replies
doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 9:14am
post #2 of

My cake supply store carries clear gelatin sheets. They are very thin and would look like glass. http://www.kitchenkrafts.com/gelatin-sheet-20-sheets/p/IN0160/

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:34pm
post #3 of

Problem is, I need them too soon so I won't be able to order them. Can I make my own gelatin and use it? if so, do you or anyone else have any tips on how?

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:58pm
post #4 of

That gelatin is a great idea. You can also use isomalt Im not sure if you have time for this either. I know most cake supply shops carry it. You can look up how to melt sugar and poor into catings or molds. Im not sure if this would work I have never done it but I dont see why it wouldn't. Good luck icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 1:03pm
post #5 of

Well I need it for friday, isomalt is not an option but I do have gelatin in the cuboard so my next question is - how do I prepare/use it? I've never used it before (& can't even remember what I bought it for) so any help much appreciated.
Does it dry? do I spread it? do I make it just before using or can it be made in advance? any other questions I should be asking?

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #6 of

I googled it and found this site
http://homecooking.about.com/od/specificfood/a/gelatintips.htm
I hope this helps they have some very helpfull tips

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 2:15pm
post #7 of

I googled it and found this site
http://homecooking.about.com/od/specificfood/a/gelatintips.htm
I hope this helps they have some very helpfull tips

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 4:17pm
post #8 of

Thanks CakeCraving but I'm still not sure how to do it exactly! I'm very visual so am having a hard time understanding the process so any tips great appreciated!

cakecraving Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:00pm
post #9 of

I don't personally work with gelatin. I would look on you tube for videos. Sorry I can't be more help.

doramoreno62 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:06pm

I googled How to make gelatin sheets and I got nothing. It is also called Leaf Gelatin. Do you have a local cake supply near you? I'm sure they would have them.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:17pm

I don't have a supply shop for stuff like that near me at all, I bought the gelatin in a regular grocery store, for anything more cake-y I have to travel over seas so I have to make do with what I have which is this gelatin that I still can't figure out how to use (I would put a sad or crying emoticon here but don't know how to do that either!)

From what I figure, I make the gelatin in a bowl & then I can't figure out what to do next : do I pour it over the fondant? wait for it to settle like if I were making jelly/jello? put it in the fridge? make it in advance? make it right before using?

(fill in another sad or crying emoticon here!)

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:32pm

Is the cake to be eaten or just for display?

If it is just for display - why not use clear cellophane over the white fondant to give that *galss* effect.
It shall pick up the light and shine as tho glass.

Bluehue

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:40pm

Bluehue, that's a wonderful idea except that it is to be eaten, ugh, I am so frustrated.

Cakecraving: this is what I read on the link you sent me 'Keep gelatin dishes refrigerated until ready to serve to maintain their gelatinous state' so I think that nixes using it unless anyone reading this has had some success and knows otherwise, if so, please join the conversation & let me (us) know.

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 6:45pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Bluehue, that's a wonderful idea except that it is to be eaten, ugh, I am so frustrated.
Ok - lets scrap that idea - lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

Go with your piping gel idea.
Just use a small brush - paint it on thinly - in the same direction - let dry for an hour or so - then see if it needs another coat - seeing as time and availability is against you - i think this would be your best bet...
Bluehue.

Cakecraving: this is what I read on the link you sent me 'Keep gelatin dishes refrigerated until ready to serve to maintain their gelatinous state' so I think that nixes using it unless anyone reading this has had some success and knows otherwise, if so, please join the conversation & let me (us) know.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:00pm

Thanks Bluehue, that's what I'll do. So relieved!

Thanks to everyone who helped out & thanks as always to CC for giving us this amazing site where we can always find someone to help us out in not making a complete cake-tastrophe!

luckylibra Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:02pm

This might work.. it is for gelatin gems but the same concept..

http://cakecentral.com/tutorial/gelatin-gems

Good luck

Bluehue Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:07pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire138

Thanks Bluehue, that's what I'll do. So relieved!

Thanks to everyone who helped out & thanks as always to CC for giving us this amazing site where we can always find someone to help us out in not making a complete cake-tastrophe!

Do let us know how you go - and hopefully post a pic -
Bluehue icon_smile.gif

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:34pm

Will do!

LuckyLibra, thanks but am going to stick with the piping gel especially as it's something I've done countless times so am more at ease.

luckylibra Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:38pm

sounds like a great plan!! Have fun with it.

Claire138 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:40pm

Fun? not sure about that as it's for my friend's dads surprise birthday. Said dad owns the most successful bakery in town. I'm beyond intimidated.
Thanks though!

cakecraving Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 1:34am

OP you will do fine. Bluehue saves the day again. Good idea.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%