Covering Dummy Cakes

Decorating By B7jac Updated 1 Aug 2012 , 5:54pm by Relznik

B7jac Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:30pm
post #1 of 7

Hi everyone, probably had this question before but anyway..... I am about to make my first wedding cake and have to use some dummies, as the three tiers are each very tall. I intend to use one cake and one dummy for each tier but each tier is in two colours . How is best to cover a dummy? do i crumb coat and fondant a dummy the same way as a cake or not? Also as I'm from the uk we usually use marzipan under the fruit cake at least (i will use under sponge cakes in this case too) therefore should i marzipan the dummy under the fondant layer?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

6 replies
CWR41 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 10:29pm
post #2 of 7

If I understand your question correctly, you can use buttercream or your normal preference on the real cake, but there's no reason to crumb coat the dummy... you can coat it with shortening before applying fondant.

Relznik Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 7

I lightly brush the dummy with piping gel before covering. But I know plenty of people just use a little water. But piping gel is my preference. Or cheaper than that is boiled, very slightly watered down jam.

How tall is each tier that you need to use dummies? icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 12:18am
post #4 of 7

If you want to save and re-use the styro, then use shortening or a very light mist of water.
The use of piping gel or jam will make the fondant very hard to remove once you are finished w/that cake.

Relznik Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 7:51am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

If you want to save and re-use the styro, then use shortening or a very light mist of water.
The use of piping gel or jam will make the fondant very hard to remove once you are finished w/that cake.

Nah - pop it on the top rack of your dishwasher and it comes out absolutely perfect! icon_biggrin.gif

B7jac Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:51pm
post #6 of 7

Thanks for the advise, I realise I didn't 'need' to crumb coat but wondered if the finish would look the same.
Didn't know I could dishwasher them and re use! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

They are about 12" tall, not that bad but only needed to make one cake really, otherwise a three tier cake would have in effect been a six tier! I am doing it as my wedding present to them. dummies also allow me to make some ahead too!

Relznik Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 5:54pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7jac

Thanks for the advise, I realise I didn't 'need' to crumb coat but wondered if the finish would look the same.
Didn't know I could dishwasher them and re use! Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relznik

They are about 12" tall, not that bad but only needed to make one cake really, otherwise a three tier cake would have in effect been a six tier! I am doing it as my wedding present to them. dummies also allow me to make some ahead too!

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif Wow! a 3 foot tall cake? I'd love to see it when it's done... I hope you post a pic (and I see it!) icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%