Cream Cheese Icing In Texas

Decorating By jekizer Updated 14 Sep 2005 , 6:41pm by alimonkey

jekizer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jekizer Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 5

I need some help! I am trying to find a good cream cheese icing recipe that I can use in the South Texas heat and humidity. I would also like to be able to decorate with it.

Any advice would surely be appreciated. I need this for Friday evening. thumbs_up.gif

4 replies
alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 5

Here's the recipe I use now. The only thing I would suggest is adding your liquid a little at a time to make sure it doesn't get too thin. Also, if your ingredients are not at room temp when you mix, it will continue to get softer as it sits.

Ali

CRUSTING CREAM CHEESE ICING

1 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1 pound cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon clear vanilla extract
3 1/2 pounds sifted confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Cream butter, shortening, cream cheese and extracts. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and salt. Beat on low speed until nice and creamy. If you want whiter icing, try to use butter without dyes available at most health food stores.

This recipe is for a stiff consistency. For a thinner consistency, use 3 pounds of powdered sugar instead.

If you want a very smooth cake, let the cake sit for 15 minutes after icing. Then smooth with the non-printed side of a Viva paper towel.

tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 5

3 1/2 ponuds of sugar?? Is that right? I want to make sure. I am dying to get a good cream cheese icing recipe.
TIA,
Tanya

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

Good luck with cream cheese... it's my favorite but it is going to melt no matter what recipe you use. The all crisco melts too here in the south. I hope the cake isn't going to be outside. Good luck~

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 14 Sep 2005 , 6:41pm
post #5 of 5

Yup - 3 1/2 lbs. It's the only way to make it stiff enough. The first cake I put it on spent 3 hours outside on a 102 degree day, so it should be OK.

Ali

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%