Dying White Chocolate

Sugar Work By Mitzzi23 Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 9:21am by Dani1081

Mitzzi23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mitzzi23 Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 3:20am
post #1 of 6

I am going to make butterflies out of melting wafers. I know liquid food coloring doesn't work for the white chocolate, but can I use gel color or do I need to use the special candy coloring? Thanks!

5 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 4:17am
post #2 of 6

You can't use the gel coloring either, as it is water based. Only the oil based candy colors will work.

You can use water based food colors for modeling chocolate/candy clay though. Just knead it in after the clay has set up, similar to coloring fondant.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Jul 2012 , 7:23pm
post #3 of 6

You can also use powdered colors and a product by Americolor, Flo-coat, allows you to use your gel colors, as well.

Rae

sfreitag71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfreitag71 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:42am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassyzan

You can't use the gel coloring either, as it is water based. Only the oil based candy colors will work.

You can use water based food colors for modeling chocolate/candy clay though. Just knead it in after the clay has set up, similar to coloring fondant.

Thank you Sassyzan for the info regarding white chocolate and oil based candy color. The white chocolate I have tried to dye in the past never turned out well, now I know why! Can you recommend a good brand of oil based candy color? I would love to be able to dye white chocolate for candy Christmas decorations.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 8:29am
post #5 of 6

Why not just buy the colored wafers? The have just about all colors available.

Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 9:21am
post #6 of 6

Blakescakes is correct - use powdered colors or use your gel colors along with americolor flocoat - it prevents the gel colors from seizing up the chocolate. That way you aren't limited to the candy colors.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%