Whipped Cream Frosting

Decorating By caleyb Updated 29 Jul 2012 , 6:28pm by Apti

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 4

I have a cake due tomorrow at 5 pm, whipped cream frosting with fondant decorations (Mickey Mouse cap and some misc decorations). Having to work tomorrow, how do I accomplish this.....you can't refrigerate a cake with fondant decorations on it, correct? You can't leave whipped cream frosting out for 8 hours, like you can a buttercream decorated cake, can you? Suggestions......

3 replies
Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:03pm
post #2 of 4

Customers will often ask for a combination of techniques/frostings/etc. that they like, but that does not mean it will work just because "they thought of it". This is when you, the cake decorator, need to educate your client as to what is and what is not--possible. I suggest you propose a compromise, either all whipped cream topping, or buttercream with fondant accents.

Here is an excellent PDF Article written by a VERY experienced decorator in San Diego. The article is about using Pastry Pride which is a non-dairy whipped cream topping. (Many of the points made would apply to any whipped cream topping.)
http://www.doitwithicing.com/PASTRY_PRIDE_INSTRUCTIONS.pdf

One of the things mentioned is to NEVER put fondant decorations on whipped cream icing. The decorations become slimy and the color runs, especially if refrigerated.

caleyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caleyb Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks, another decorator just told me that about whipped cream and fondant....learn something new every day as a beginning decorator. I will use buttercream instead. Thanks for your prompt reply - I really appreciate it and will read that article, too!

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:28pm
post #4 of 4

You are MOST welcome! (I learned the hard way...... Glad to have saved you some grief.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%