Dowel Rods

Decorating By beccaboo1993 Updated 2 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm by beccaboo1993

beccaboo1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccaboo1993 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 8

i am new at this cake decorating and i am coming across many problems, i cant figure out how to stack my cakes, one of two things happen, my dowel rods slide within my cake and the cake on top of it will slide and destroy or i will stack a cake on top with out dowel rods and the cake will sink. HELP

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 8

Hi, 2 layers, make a tier. you stack one tier on top of another. you HAVE to put each tier on a cake board of its on. You have to dowel any tier that another tier sits on. I HAVE NEVER had a problem with using wooden dowels . I also use the bubble tea straws, and also the single plate system(sps) how tos on this site under forums , under cake decorating. You CANNOT stack a tier on top on another with out some kind of support. There are many tutorials on youtube on stacking cakes(great ones) and also on Designmea cake.com) Edna is a c/cer and has a wonderful web site to learn so much. If you need more help, don,t mind asking. We are all here to help you.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 6:40pm
post #3 of 8

http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

SPS = single plate separators (by Bakery Crafts). Wilton and other companies have similar versions available.

beccaboo1993 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 8

thank you so much!

beccaboo1993 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 7:38pm
post #5 of 8

how long do you let your cakes cool? i think i might not be letting my cakes completely cool, and they might still be warm inside which would be why my dowel rods keep getting messed up...

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 8

Wooden dowel rods are skinny sticks. They can shift for a multitude of reasons--cut crooked, placed crooked, slipping on buttercream, etc.

I strongly suggest switching to bubble tea straws or Wilton hollow dowels. Easier to cut & way, way stronger. Much less prone to shifting and they don't displace cake.

As for stacking WARM cakes---warm cakes shouldn't even be iced, let alone have dowels stuck into them or stacked.

I cool my cakes to room temp, wrap well, freeze, defrost until cool to the touch, split, fill, crumb coat, allow to rest for several hours or overnight, adjust any bulges, final ice, cool in fridge--AND THEN DOWEL & STACK.

HTH
Rae

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:18pm
post #7 of 8

Yes, what the others have said. It sounds like you are not cooling your cakes completely before attempting to stack even 2 *layers* together much less 2 tiers icon_sad.gif
Do read up on the Wilton link that was provided on how to stack cakes. I'm rather old school - I prefer pillars and plates OR I use plastic drink straws (have never even seen a bubble tea straw). If you get nice, fat straws that are NOT bendable, they do very nicely for most 3 tiered cakes. If it's more than 3 tiers then to bottom tier needs more/better support.

beccaboo1993 Posted 2 Aug 2012 , 6:39pm
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone! i have so much room for improvement, i thought i could just wing it and teach myself but that is much harder than it seems! i am going to take some classes and any advice i can get!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%