sfandm Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:35pm

Just opened a brand new bag, I used these all the time 15 years ago for lollipops I used to sell.

The melted consistency was horrible, it was like stirring frosting in a can, I had to add almost 1/4 cup of Paramount Crystals just to thin it out to what was useable, and then it looked like S"*# on my cruffles, I drizzled white over milk chocolate melts from CK, the Merckens brand. I love those, but won't buy the W brand again.

Anyone elkse had this problem?

Maybe I should have passed on the sale they were having at Wallyworld, a bag for $2.50 thumbsdown.gif

4 replies
DeniseNH Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:44pm

Sounds like they were either old or had some moisture in the bag - moisture and chocolate doesn't mix.

carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:55pm

When they go on sale it means they are old and past their prime. I don't use Wiltons, I either use Merckens or really there's a brand that Hobby Lobby sells that I used to make white chocolate baby bottles for a shower and they were really good! I can't remember the name, but they are not Wilton.

indydebi Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 9:02pm

I too used these multi-years ago, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the recipe changed slightly to accommodate use in a microwave. "Back in my day" the only way to melt them was the stove-top method, but of course we nuke 'em now. A couple of times I tried the stove top method again and they just didn't seem to work, but they microwaved fine.

Agree that it sounds like you got an old batch.

sfandm Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 3:42pm

Thanks everyone for your input, I believe the brand you are thinking of is Make n Mold indydebi. I love the way Merckens just rolls off the spoon, it tastes really good.

Quote by %username% on %date%

%body%