Correct Ribbon For Use On Cakes?

Decorating By suedepp Updated 1 Aug 2012 , 4:25am by Pearl645

suedepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedepp Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to make a Rice Crispy cake, three tiered. A 1" ribbon borders the bottom of each layer. Could someone please share what kind of ribbon works best for cakes? Grosgrain? Satin? Something else? My concern is whether the ribbon will absorb the grease from the cake and "spot", and also if the dye from the ribbon will stain the cake?

Second question: will I need to add supports with each tier (I currently use bubble straws if I make a 2 or 3 tiered cake) or will that not be necessary with a Rice Crispy cake because it would be less likely to collapse from the weight of the tier above?

4 replies
sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 5

As far as ribbon goes, I always used single face satin ribbon, the kind you can still sew with, but is shiny on only one side. Cut strips of wax paper just slightly wider than your ribbon, then attach them to your cake using drops of icing, and after that just lay your ribbon on top of the wax paper. It works great. Or you could cut fondant or chocolate clay strips in the color and width needed so that everything is edible.

I would still use supports for the cake, even though it is a rice krispie cake. No harm in it, and better to be safe than sorry.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:52pm
post #3 of 5

I doubt seriously you would need support for a rice krispie cake. The stuff weighs like styrofoam. If anything I'd only put a thin dowel through the center just to make sure it all held together.

suedepp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suedepp Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice! I'll try the wax paper under the ribbon - never thought of that.

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 1 Aug 2012 , 4:25am
post #5 of 5

I use contact paper under ribbon for all my cakes. The line of icing used under to glue it onto cakes never shows.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%