Best Boxed Cake For Tiers... I Know.. Lame

Baking By MELROSE315 Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 9:17pm by littlestruedel

MELROSE315 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MELROSE315 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:03pm
post #1 of 13

I am a amatuer baker with limited on time for baking. I made a wedding cake with pilsbury yellow and chocolate layers. 3 tiers with 3 ... 2 inch layers. turned out well but the cake is so moist it seems to flatten and make a lumpy look.. only happened on th bottom layers. I used 4 dowels a tier with cake boards. I hoping to use boxed cake that would be a bit firmer? I know I should make from scratch but with 3 little boys and work... you all know .... not much time left for baking cakes! please help.
LL

12 replies
Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:23pm
post #2 of 13

you needed more dowels! four wont hold all that weight I think its supposed to be a dowel for every 1.5 inches or something like that.

Addictive_desserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Addictive_desserts Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 13

Yeah I think more dowels. So for instance if it's a 10" cake have 8 dowels, 8" have 6 dowels, etc!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 13

Because your tiers were extra tall - 6", you should have had more support. In the 10" bottom tier you need 6 or 8. They can be (nice, thick plastic drink) straws or dowels - straws are super easy to get and cut where as dowels can be hard to cut and leave a taste behind in the cake icon_sad.gif In the 8" tier that is supporting only a 6"er you only need 3 placed in a triangle pattern.

MELROSE315 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:20am
post #5 of 13

thanks so much... I followed wiltons tiered cake direction and it did not mention more than four dowels... easier fix than changing cake receipe! thanks.. great to have other "cakers" to help!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 8:28am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I know I should make from scratch but with 3 little boys

Why? It is a personal preference, and also what your client base prefers. I don't charge enough to perfect scratch recipes, and my modified box mixes taste great. And between you and me (and the internet, lol) I just don't have the time and patience to learn how to bake from scratch. But Betty knows, so that is good enough for me!

BTW, I have 3 boys too, and a girl. The one girl is as much work as all 3 boys put together...8 going on 18.

jinxionghuiur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jinxionghuiur Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 9:34am
post #7 of 13

great to have other "cakers" to help!Image

cattycornercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cattycornercakes Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 13

You could use a WASC recipe which starts with a box mix and its usually fairly sturdy cake. I use this recipe and everyone assumes its scratch icon_biggrin.gif

MELROSE315 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 2:10am
post #9 of 13

WASC?

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 1:20pm
post #10 of 13

Totally not 'lame' to use a boxed mix.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 2:19pm
post #11 of 13

WASC: White Almond Sour Cream.

Since the cake-mix companies have modified their formulas and the amount of product in the boxes, you might want to look up how people have adapted the doctored WASC recipes to these changes, otherwise you'll end up with unusual results.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 6:47pm
post #12 of 13

I think the 3 - 2" layers if the problem. The rule of thumb is support for every 4" of cake. When I make 6" tall tiers, it is actually two 3" cakes doweled and supported like tiers but iced and decorated as one cake. The buckling you had looks like the weight of the upper layers in each tier, not the weight of the tiers above.

I also second the pps about needing more dowels (unless you are using an SPS type system) in the future.

littlestruedel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlestruedel Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 13

You might also try adding pudding mix and reducing a bit of the water for a more dense cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%