Looking For A Boston Cream Pie Cupcake Recipe

Baking By sfandm Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 8:07am by chengfutai0509

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:12pm
post #1 of 6

Preferably using a homemade custard for filling, and I have a great ganache recipe, this recipe can be with a BC cake mix or completely scratch. I have searched the recipes and not found one I like, most call for instant pudding, which IMO is very grainy, hence the vanilla custard MFS. Pics would be good of past ones anyone has made.

Thanks in advance.

Sonya

5 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:21am
post #2 of 6

This is actually very easy. Take your favorite yellow/vanilla cake recipe, add pastry cream in the middle and top with your favorite ganache or glaze.

I love Joanne Chang's pastry cream. She shared it on the Martha Stewart site.

Her book, Flour, Is one of my very favorite cookbooks. It is well worth getting. It is on the intermediate level for scratch bakers.

I use Warren Brown's yellow cake recipe with changes.

I prefer a sweeter chocolate topping than just ganache. I sweeten mine by using less cream and adding corn syrup and vanilla bean paste. Sometimes I use a chocolate glaze/ganache combo.

http://www.marthastewart.com/349069/joanne-changs-pastry-cream

sfandm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sfandm Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 10:46am
post #3 of 6

Thank you once again scp1127. I copied the custard recipe from Martha's website, and will make these this weekend. I am also going to look for the book "Flour" today. Always looking to expand my cookbook library. I also found a great recipe on youtube about Poured Fondant or Chocolate ganache. The first time I made it, I couldn't keep my hubby out of it. The woman in the video did a really good job explaining how to make it. Easy peasy recipe.

Anyway, thanks again.

Sonya

nhbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nhbaker Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:05pm
post #4 of 6

I haven't made boston cream cupcakes but a boston cream cake before and I used a BC Yellow Buttter Mix (using WASC recipe and omitting oil) and homemade pastry cream & ganacge --- it was really good!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 9:31am
post #5 of 6

I forgot to note that in cases where the pastry cream needs to be stiffer, like in a cupcake so that it doesn't end up on the person's shirt, I increase the thickener by 25-30% for insurance.

chengfutai0509 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chengfutai0509 Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 8:07am
post #6 of 6

it was really good!Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%