What's Going On In This Cake?

Decorating By vgcea Updated 28 Jul 2012 , 7:34pm by kakeladi

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 10

Please enlighten me. What kinds of support structures are going on in this cake to balance the top? Surely it cannot be just a simple dummy between the separated tiers.
LL

9 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 10

It could be assembled on a center pipe.

vgcea Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 3:49pm
post #3 of 10

With the pipe going through the top section or resting under it?

It occurred to me that the top tiers could very well be dummies. 3 tiers is a bit of weight to balance precariously like that.

This cake has me befuddled. icon_lol.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 10

Another possiblility is the center rounds are styro dummies. Then only support needed would be in the tiers below the rounds.

Cherylc418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cherylc418 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:23am
post #5 of 10

Wooden board on bottom attached to PVC center support, dummies in the middle then another wooden board attached to the top of the PVC to support the top cake. Just my guess!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:22am
post #6 of 10

It could be done...good dowelling, make sure the top is centered, no biggie. But I wouldn't do it without a center pipe to hold the whole thing in line! I also vote for the center rounds being styrofoam, though.

CWR41 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:44am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea

With the pipe going through the top section or resting under it?

It occurred to me that the top tiers could very well be dummies. 3 tiers is a bit of weight to balance precariously like that.

No, I doubt three tiers are balancing precariously on the top of a pipe. I'd guess a center pipe is used throughout. As each supported tier is slid down the pipe, additional stops can be attached to the pipe to prevent excessive weight and bulging on the lower tiers.

CWR41 Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 1:50am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

Another possiblility is the center rounds are styro dummies. Then only support needed would be in the tiers below the rounds.

Most likely, the round separator/spacer is styrofoam.

The three tiers above the round would most definitely require supports, unless you're referring to the possibility that the upper three tiers might be dummies too.

vgcea Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 5:57am
post #9 of 10

Wow great ideas. I love CC!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 10

.........The three tiers above the round would most definitely require supports.........

Yeah, I didn't state that very well. I just ment the dummies would not really need to have supports/doweling icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%