Pleases I Need All The Ideas That I Can Get. Help.

Decorating By josefina20 Updated 28 Jul 2012 , 4:36pm by carmijok

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 10:11am
post #1 of 13

I live on a military base, so I came up with the idea of military wives interested in a cake club. I though not many people would responded but, now i am surprised that more than 6 people want to join me, The first meeting will be at my home, each person can bring whatever they would like to work on, then we can start form there.

The problem is that I am freaking out hahaha, I would love this little club to work, so we all can be motivated and of course learn from each other.

If anyone has any ideas for the first meeting please let me know.

12 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 10:37am
post #2 of 13

Womderful -

Are you teaching them how to bake and then fill and cover a cake
Are you teaching them how to use foondant or BC
Are you teaching them how to make flowers and other decorations...

Or

Are you just hopefully getting together to make new *caking friends* and share what you all know?

Thought i would ask so as i know which direction your heading in - then hopefully i can give you some tips.

Bluehue

josefina20 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 13

We are getting together and sharing all what we know,
thanks

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 13

If I was in a cake club, here's what I would hope for: each person to share a tip, technique or type of cake design they can with each other, to talk about the kinds of skills each person would like to learn (either from each other or find a way or Youtube video) . Why not ask what occasions are coming up as a group and assist each other in the planning, decorating, etc. Sounds like fun!!

rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 13

This sounds like a lot of fun and a great way to meet new people/learn new things. I'd start out by asking everyone what they hope to get out of it. Maybe assign a meeting to each person if you've got some knowledge, if not, pick a topic and as Theresa mentioned, Youtube it and everyone learns together. Have fun!! I wish I could come!

josefina20 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:37pm
post #6 of 13

OMG thanks so so much for this tips. I really appreciate this and welcome more ideas.

Bluehue Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 7:55am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by josefina20

We are getting together and sharing all what we know,
thanks

Perhaps for the first meeting you could have a sample of something that you make/do in regards to caking - and show what tools/ingrediants you use for doing such item.

Ask each lady what they would like to learn in the immediate future...and then ask if any of the other lady's know the technique for doing *that*

Suggest that you combine orders if ordering on line - so as to keep postage - shipping costs down........ or buy some things in bulk - again to keep the costs down.

Ask if anyone subscribes to a magazine - that others may be interest in sharing and reading.

Bluehue

jinxionghuiur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jinxionghuiur Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 9:35am
post #8 of 13

that others may be interest in sharing and readinImage

Bluehue Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 12:16pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxionghuiur

that others may be interest in sharing and readinImage

that others may be INTERESTED in and sharing - and READING

I was rushing with my response so as to get out the door for a delivery -
apologies.

Bluehue

neekole Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neekole Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 2:17pm
post #10 of 13

maybe have them bring pictures of some of the cakes they've done and the conversation will flow from there on techniques and designs

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 3:16pm
post #11 of 13

Definitely introduce them to Cake Central. thumbs_up.gif

mommachris

JackieDryden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JackieDryden Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:07pm
post #12 of 13

I started a cake club with other local home bakers. Most of us just do it for people we know, and family, but one gal is a Wilton instructor and has done cakes for 30 years. It's nice to see what she doesn't know that us newbies can do and somethings she knows that we don't. We've had 1 "meeting" so far. She is the only person that knew all of us, the rest of us have met at DOS and other events. I didn't realize we had so many cakers in our town and small towns nearby until we tried to get some participation. Our first meeting was just to meet each other and find out what we wanted to learn, and to set a time a day that works for everybody. Our next meeting I am making gelatin bows, and showing how it's done. We are all hoping the "elder" lady will show us some airbrush techniques.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 13

I think it would be fun for each person to bring a picture of their latest cake each meeting and have a group critique...offering positive suggestions and ideas on any issues that the caker may have had, learning what everyone's strengths and weaknesses are and getting an idea as to what topics can be discussed in future meetings. Then at the end of the year (or around Christmas or another holiday) have a 'before' and 'after' gallery that shows how far everyone has come and maybe give out prizes for the most improved club member and maybe other prizes for best flowers, best use of a fondant mold, most creative theme, etc.

Have a recipe tasting event where everyone can bring a cake or icing recipe they've been wanting to try and have printed copies ready for those who want them.

Have a caking 'tip of the month' from one of the members to demonstrate.

Just some thoughts!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%