Changing Color Of Premade Gumpaste Flowers

Decorating By kickasscakes Updated 18 Dec 2012 , 5:53pm by kickasscakes

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 1:38pm
post #1 of 6

How do I change the color of gumpaste flowers? I have pink cherry blossoms and they need to be blue and green.... Any ideas?

5 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 6

Do you have an airbrush? If so, and depending on the intensity of the new color you want, this is the method I recommend. If not, you can probably try to paint with diluted dust but not sure if you will be able to cover the old color.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 6

Yeah, an airbrush is the best answer. Painting them w/gel colors might work but they will take a long time to dry - if ever - making them very difficult to handleicon_sad.gif Colors, dusts or gels can be diluted with Vodka or similar.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 6:32pm
post #4 of 6

Oh, this is so annoying. I just typed and submitted an answer and bingo! Got some failed error message. Let's try again.

I spent the last day trying to locate this in my printed out, hard copy file. I have never had the occasion to try this as, I've never purchased ready made gumpaste flowers. Just the thought of plunging gumpaste into a liquid makes me pause, especially as I am so careful when just steaming them. But it does give you another option. Maybe you could sacrifice one blossom to see if it works. I have heard some are dissatisfied with air brushing, as it is difficult to get into all the crevices on some kind of flowers. Anyway:

Put about 3" of vodka into a small jar with a lid. Add a few drops of Kroma air brush color, cap and shake until thoroughly mixed. Submerge the flower for about 3-10 seconds. Remove, brush off the excess liquid with a small clean paint brush. Blow dry on high power for 20 seconds. Be sure the flower is completely dry before using.

HTH,

Jan

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 6

.......Put about 3" of vodka into a ...jar with a lid. Add a few drops of Kroma air brush color, cap & shake until thoroughly mixed. Submerge the flower for about 3-10 seconds. Remove, brush off the excess liquid with a small clean paint brush. Blow dry on high power for 20 seconds. Be sure the flower is completely dry before using.....

Thanks for reminding us of this technique. I learned this some 10-12 yrs ago from Earlene Moore icon_smile.gif It works great IF your flowers are on a wire. Make sure the jar opening is wide enough for the flower to pass through w/a bit of extra space and deep enough for the whole flowers to be emurssed(sp?) completely; once you dip the flower quickly, lift it just out of the liquid and twirl to shake off excess liquid. BTW: as I remember it can be any brand of airbrush liquid coloricon_smile.gif

kickasscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kickasscakes Posted 18 Dec 2012 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks ladies... I didn't see this until it was done already so I can tell you what I did do, and why I don't reccommend it.

I added vodka to petal dusts, and painted by hand.

Came out clumpy and the wrong color, as the color underneath was too dark to mask correctly.

Thanks for all the tips, now I know what to do next time!

Tasha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%