Falling Chocolate Cupcakes

Baking By timeforcake Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm by timeforcake

timeforcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
timeforcake Posted 26 Jul 2012 , 12:39am
post #1 of 5

Hello, Recipe Gurus!

My daughter and I are trying to create a new recipe using the Hershey's chocolate cake recipe as a basis. The flavor we have come up with is a winner, but the cake is sticking to the baking cups and making them hard to eat as cupcakes. javascript:emoticon('icon_cry.gif')

Any one of you super smart baker types have a suggestion as to why cakes tend to fall? Should I be making a stiffer batter (seems like choc cakes are usually really thin with the original recipe) by using less liquid?

The cupcakes have a very airy crumb and looked good in the oven before falling in the centers. Maybe I need to try a higher or lower temp? (we are using 350* currently)
Maybe skip the baking cups alltogether and just go with parchment?

I'd surely appreciate your opinions on the matter! icon_cry.gif

4 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 27 Jul 2012 , 11:58am
post #2 of 5

How long might you be baking them for?

If they are rising and then falling when you take them out of the oven - perhaps a little longer cooking time is required.
Not knowing the recipe - its a tad hard to gauge.

I doubt the baking cups are causing the fall...

Bluehue

timeforcake Posted 26 Jan 2013 , 11:04pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks for the reply, Bluehue!  We'll work on a longer cooking time next time around.

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 27 Jan 2013 , 1:27am
post #4 of 5

While I love this recipe from Hershey, I have the same problem with cupcake wrappers when I use it for cupcakes.  The cupcakes fall almost every time. I'd be curious to know the answer, as well.

timeforcake Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 9:29pm
post #5 of 5

Well, our recipe turned out quite tasty, but we never did get a properly crowned cupcake.  With baking times altered and using both parchment and cupcake wrapper, the cupcakes were always very flat.  I used this as a positive, however, and just decided it made a perfect platform for really good icing!

Y'all let me know if you find anything different with your Hershey's recipe success!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%